Thread: drive mapping asking for password?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

drive mapping asking for password?

ok so I finally set up my kids pc. they both have win2k pro. I have a folder on my xp machine....folder A and folder B for each kid to save their files to. In the folder properties I shared it with full access to the folders. Now the kicker...when they reboot it is asking for my local admin password. the folders are shared to everyone. can anyone help?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    You say you have given full access to the folders,but have you mapped your XP drive from their PC's as well?
    If you map your XP drive from the 2K box they can choose their own username and password.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

yes did that rev...I shared the folder on xp and then mapped the drive thru win2k. now giving it some thought it is a workgroup not a domain so group rights dont apply...now the 2 win2k admin passwords are the same and the xp admin is different so if I change the win2k passwords to match the xp then it might not have any security issues.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    now the 2 win2k admin passwords are the same and the xp admin is different so if I change the win2k passwords to match the xp then it might not have any security issues.
    As long as the kids can only access their folders,and nothing else on the XP machine it shouldn't be an issue.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

well heres the issue when they reboot and it remaps network drives its asking for the xp's admin password...what I'm gonna try is making the passwords the same or write a net use batch file and put it in the start up folder.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    well
    what happens is that it tries the admin and the current users.
    What you can do, is specied users that can access the folders. But you will have to create the users locally in the computer that you are sharing from.
    To do this, thought, you will have to know your kids password, and they don't have to change it.
    The other thing you could do, is create a "whatever" user, with a "whatever" password.
    This user should have only access to those folders and be limited thought, because you will use an easy password so your kids can use it.
    Anyhow, the philosofy is that user names and password have to match when using network drives in a workgroup.
    IF you want to go further, make a PC a domain controller, so everybody logs to it
    OK, ok, too advanced for the use.