Thread: Transferring Files

Banned

Transferring Files

is there any good program where i can transfer my files and programs from my computer to another like cloning

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    ghost or drive image are the popular apps for cloning hard disks.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    AS phish said Norton Ghost is a very populer and good one to use. It's saved my butt more than a few times...

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Don't waste your time with Ghost and go straight to Drive Image. A great program IMHO as you dont need to leave Windows to create the image in the first place, and you can restore individual files on the fly, again, no reboot required

FYI - Symantec (makers of Ghost) recently purchased PowerQuest (makers of Drive Image) so it's all the same...
    Last edited by SupaStar; January 28th, 2004 at 20:53 PM. Reason: Added FYI

Banned
    I think the fact that Ghost boots to DOS before making a disk image or clone is one of its plus-points. It *guarantees* that no other disk activity is taking place. The time overhead is negligible.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    The hard trouble with Ghost and DriveImage, is when trying to restore a full drive image to a bare HD ie after format. I have yet to work out how to do it with DriveImage as your need the boot environment, Ghost seems simplier in this way, however i havent used it yet.

Another idea Biker for 'cloning' would be to get a RAID card and setup mirroring configuration, then when ever you want to update the copy drive, simply plug it in and re-synch the drives might work, theoretically LOL.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Cash, you need some sort of boot environment for both programs. Neither let you do a full restore from within Windows.

The DriveImage cd is bootable and creates the environment from which you can restore your image from a hard disk, network drive or CD-R.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Cash, you need some sort of boot environment for both programs. Neither let you do a full restore from within Windows.
    Hmm I do a full restore in windows with Drive Image, you just need a second hard drive

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Hmm I do a full restore in windows with Drive Image, you just need a second hard drive
    Yup! That's right!

So, you use the second HD to store the image, then install XP and DriveImage on new HD, then load image from second HD??

Is there a way to restore without using boot environment, and without installing XP? maybe not. Oh well.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    So, you use the second HD to store the image, then install XP and DriveImage on new HD, then load image from second HD??

Is there a way to restore without using boot environment, and without installing XP? maybe not. Oh well.
    I have an old spare HD that has XP, DriveImage, PartitionMajic, WipeOut and other tools. If I want to restore an image or do any work on the main HD I just plug the spare drive in and go to town. It's fast (transfer rate) and easy working in windows

Don't throw that old HD away, make it a tool drive.

Oh I see said the blind man, so you have a second HD with XP and DriveImage and backup image already there, so when you need to re-image, you can load it to new/original HD.

Do you first boot up with 'Tool' HD, then re-ghost? does XP like having 2 boot HDs ?

thx guys, this is helping.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Yes I boot the tool drive, I change the first boot device in the bios and boot what ever I want. Right now I have 3 bootable drives running and XP doesn't care. I guess I could use a boot manager instead of bios but I never got around to that

With the tool drive I can scan a HD for errors, wipe it clean, format, re-image and be running in about 20min. I never really timed it but thats close.

BTW I have Hot Swap trays so changing HD's is a snap, it would take longer if you need to remove case cover to plug Tool HD in. I also use the trays to change boot sequence if I want but I like to vist the bios every so often...you know the OC thing...hehe
    Last edited by FastGame; February 3rd, 2004 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    What I meant, was, if your Windows no longer boots, then you need the boot environment, but reading back on what I posted, what I meant was not really portrayed by my post. Know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    What I meant, was, if your Windows no longer boots, then you need the boot environment, but reading back on what I posted, what I meant was not really portrayed by my post. Know what I mean?
    I knew what you meant And thats why i elaborated more on the second (bootable) Tool HD, with XP and DriveImage and the image on it

Now, next question. Is it possible to re-ghost this image from Tool HD onto a new raid config ?? Ie go from 1 HD to 2 spanned HDs ?? Thx FG.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---