Thread: A blank page called About: Blank or About:Blank

A blank page called About: Blank or About:Blank

I get this but fortunately not very often. I looked it up in Google, read 15 questions with no real answers as to what it's all about.

If anyone can enlighten me...well, that would be cool.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    about:blank in the built-in "web page" or "home page" for absolutely nothing. It's a blank page - a web page in it's purest most new-born form. It's my default home page for all of my browsers. It's beautiful. An empty canvas. Embrace it - it is good.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by petard
    about_:blank in the built-in "web page" or "home page" for absolutely nothing. It's a blank page - a web page in it's purest most new-born form. It's my default home page for all of my browsers. It's beautiful. An empty canvas. Embrace it - it is good.
    Thank you for that, I feel reborn.....

You can open internet explorer and select tools/internet options/advanced
    scroll down and uncheck "show friendly http error messages"

this will make your browser say the error message from a website.
    Last edited by egghead; March 4th, 2004 at 20:08 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Egghead:

I went toTools > Internet Options > Advanced and unchecked "show friendly http error messages." Then I clicked on a desktop icon, afterdawn. (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/74157). I got a "This page cannot be displayed" notice. THEN I got an about: blank #382471 page...the "about. blank #382471" being in the address bar. (Later on by the way the desktop icon took me directly to the page quick.

Is this sort of how it works for you?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I am lost.
    Anyhow, after I while I understood what is all about.
    (I think I should not drink beer while reading TZ at 3 AM)
    Petard, a blank page is an web page which has nothing. Lets say that you just opened a web space in a free host. AS soon as it is activated the host will put a blank page for you, or a page that says :Site is under contruction
    I am guessing that Egg'S TIP is to disable the HTTP error and just show you what is there (nothing in the case of blank page)
    Now, if what I said it was wrong/... I am sorry, I am going to bed now

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    have you ever seen the "You are not authorized to view this page?" message.

When you uncheck "show friendly http error messages" you might get a message like. Bandwidth exceeded or whatever cool messages.

You may never see anything but it's fun to see the real message.

------------------------------------------------------------

Banned
    i set all my browsers to this home page so they can load faster it helps

Hi Wumply

When I saw the title to your thread the first thing I thought about was the two variants of the CoolWebSearch Hijacker that also changes the IE homepage to about:blank, along with changing the default search engines.

From Merijn's CWSChronicles (the creator of CWShredder and HijackThis):
    CWS.Winres - About:blank hacked - first siting Feb 10/04
    This variant is the first to achieve a remarkable result: it changes the about:blank page itself to look like a search engine. This is later seen in the CWS.Xmlmimefilter variant, using a different method. The variant possibly adds three domains to the Trusted Zone and adds two bookmarks to the desktop.
    Deleting the BHO, resetting the IE homepage, and removing the sites and bookmarks fixes this.

CWS.Xmlmimefilter - About:blank hacker v2.0 - first siting Feb 29/04
    Though the hijacking of the about:blank page was also done by the CWS.Winres variant, this new variant accomplishes it in a much more elegant way. The DLL itself used for handling the 'about:' protocol is changed to a malicious msxmlpp.dll one, displaying a search engine instead of a blank page filled with links to 66.117.38.91.
    Changing the CLSID of the about protocol back to the default {3050F406-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}, deleting the file and removing the hosts file hijack fixes this.
    The most recent version of CWShredder v.1.53.01 does remove this. You could try running the program and see if it does detect anything (hopefully not), just to be sure you have not been infected with a CWS variant (be sure before you run CWShredder you have all browsers and open windows closed, and click on the *Fix button and not just the scan button)

Regards,

snap
    @}-`-,--