Thread: Workgroup Inaccessible: Why?

Workgroup Inaccessible: Why?

Hello-

I setup a network with "computer a" connecting to the internet via a Linksys router; all seems to configure correctly and I can access the internet, but when I try to go "View Workgroup Computers", I get an error msg: "Work Group is not accessible. You may not have access to this network resource..." In other words, I cannot see that "computer a" is a member of its own workgroup. When I setup a 2nd computer, it also shows the same thing! Both computers have the same workgroup name, "BGROUP". I easily locate Knowledgebase article 318030 which explictly identifies the error.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318030&Product=winxp

According to the article this error occurs whenever both of the following conditions are true:
    (1) NetBIOS over TCP/IP is not turned on (enabled) on one or more computers in the workgroup AND (2) The Computer Browser service is not started or is turned off (disabled) on one or more computers in the workgroup.

I check and find the computer browser service is running, but still I complete both steps per the MS Knowledgebase article:

Step 1: Turn On NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    Step 2: Start the Computer Browser Service

However, this is unsuccessful as I still get the same errors. Suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

For completness, the HW setup is as follows:
    Router, Linksys BEFW11S4, no encryption, SSID enabled;no MAC filtering.
    Std PPPoE setup through DSL; username/password verified, etc

Machines defined on the workgroup, "BGROUP" are listed below:
    (a) emachine; 1.2 GhZ celeron; WinXP. Ethernet connection to router.
    (b) Sony Viao with Intel Centrino, Wireless. WinXP. Have capability to use either wireless or ethernet connection.

Thank you.

Scott
    Last edited by smartin22; February 4th, 2004 at 11:36 AM.
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Is computer 2 able to get on the internet and if not did you input the ssid for the router into the portable systems wireless software?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    You also might have to enable the LAN setting in the router, thats if the router has a built in Switch. Is the router setup for DHCP and are the Client's IPs right?

You might have to run the Home Networking wizard again on the XP machines, and make sure sharing is enabled etc.

in the command prompt, type net view, this will show which computers are connected in the workgroup lan and have shares availble to access.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Is computer 2 able to get on the internet and if not did you input the ssid for the router into the portable systems wireless software?
    Well, you've stumbled across my problem #2 (a separate issue) which I haven't yet brought up. Computer #2 does get on the internet, but NOT via our wireless router; it somehow sees the neighbors network. For now, SSID is enabled in our router and apparently our neighbors too. I don't recall if we put the SSID into the wireless software or if it just "saw" the SSID. Clearly it sees the neighbor's SSID so I think the LAN card, Intel Pro/Wireles Lan 2100 3B, is working.

However, the wireless LAN card's software is INtel-based, not LInksys based; and so it doesn't have all the features the Linksys would. The channel ID, fragmenation threshold, preamble mode, etc are seemingly not accessible and thus not user-selectable. So I am not sure if the centrino-based LAN card is setup for OUR Linksys router. Surely Linksys can run with this ubiquitous wirless LAN card, but the wireless LAN card is not yet receiving internet via our Router.

Comments welcome. Thx for reading.

Scott/Millie
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    You also might have to enable the LAN setting in the router, thats if the router has a built in Switch. Is the router setup for DHCP and are the Client's IPs right?

You might have to run the Home Networking wizard again on the XP machines, and make sure sharing is enabled etc.

in the command prompt, type net view, this will show which computers are connected in the workgroup lan and have shares availble to access.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thx for the response. I will look into these issues and report back to you. My visceral response is that yes, DHCP is working as the Client IP for computer #1 is 192.168.1.103, which is about right. I'll verify in the DHCP screen. I'll also check sharing & issue the command "net view" and see what is kicked back.

You can get on the net via your neighbors wireless network??!! So whats the prob Brudda?? Download the internet! oops sorry I lost control there for a second. Anyway, You should be able to remove the entry for his network in your wireless SW for that specific system. It seems that your Buds router is broadcasting IP's across the neighborhood, which is bad for him but...ok for anyone cruising for an open network (wardriving). I don't know all of them of course but the ones I have dealt with have an option for showing all available networks. You should see yours and his. Remove his from the "connect to" window and Voila! Yours is the only one left...hopefully anyway.
    Last edited by rik; February 5th, 2004 at 03:41 AM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    @smartin, do you have any firewalls installed on the computers, make sure that they allow communications for the 192.168.0.0/255 address range. Maybe one of your comps is blocking the return signal from the router.

Also, a lot of the settings for wireless a default, so the centrino should work with Linksys router. Important features are SSID and perhaps channel or channel hopping.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    @smartin, do you have any firewalls installed on the computers, make sure that they allow communications for the 192.168.0.0/255 address range. Maybe one of your comps is blocking the return signal from the router.

Also, a lot of the settings for wireless a default, so the centrino should work with Linksys router. Important features are SSID and perhaps channel or channel hopping.
    By "Firewall" I presume you mean something like "Zone Alarm"? No Zone Alarm running on the comps in questions.

Problem may have been that the "Diversity Spread" on the antenna wasn't enabled. My friend worked with Linksys who guided her to enable the "Diversity Spread" under the "Wireless" section of the router menu and connection is now established.

Also, the "Workgroup Inaccessible" may be attributed to now having sharing enabled. I haven't yet checked this out. My impression was WinXP automatically enabled sharing on folders like "My Pictures" and "My Music", but this means sharing among users on a given computer, and NOT on the network! So I'll have to go enable sharing on a folder on friend's computer & retest to see if I can now "View WorkGroup Computers." WIll keep you posted.

Scott

Yes you will have to have something shared to be able to access the other system, but that should not keep you from seeing the other computer.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    If the computers are not seeing each other, the items i would try are as follows:
    1-) Ping the respective IP address's. If you get replies, then the computers can see each other but they cannot talk to each other. If you you get timeouts, then the computers cannot even see each other. If you get timeouts, then there is a configuration/software issue on the network. I would check the workgroup name, then check the IP address information and make sure that they have the correct ip address/subnet mask.

2-) Check to make sure that there are no firewalls running/installed. If you are sure that there are not, go to start --> run and type MSCONFIG. Click on the startup tab, make a note of items that do not have a mark, and then click on the disable all button. Reboot the pc and see if you can access the network. If you can, then you know one of the applications listed in the start tab of the MSCONFIG is causing a conflict. If you still cant, run MSCONFIG and re-enable all the items that were marked.

3-) Windows XP has a built in firewall. Try disabling this. Right click on the my network places icon and click on properties. Right click on your internet connection and click on properties then click on the Advanced tab and disable the firewall.

Let us know if any of these items work good luck

Scott,

I have the same issue! By the way, have you figured out why? Is there any solution?

thanks!

Fan

A possible working solution.........

I've had the same problem....well sort of.....

Scenario:
    Behind a firewall...Linksys
    Every PC gets DHCP from Linksys Router
    Several Different Windows OS on the Internal Network W98, W2k & XP Pro
    PC 'A' can see the network and other computers...

PC 'A' (XP Pro box) can see and access PC 'B' resources......

PC 'B' (XP Pro box) on the Internal Network can't see Entire Network or View Workgroup PC's (PC 'B' can't see squat!)

--------
    At one time, PC 'B' was setup for ICS for the entire network. Hmmm.....

Configured PC 'B' in the following way...
    Ran Network Wizard... nothing.
    Verified IP on same network range and subnet...
    Reset Computer Browser service
    Checked and enabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP
    Verified Firewall disabled on the NIC
    disabled all other software firewalls.... ie ZoneAlarm, Symantec, Sygate, etc...
    Verified computers belong to same workgroup

Run local security policy editor from control panel admin tools and set the local policy, Network Access: Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users, to enabled and make sure guest account is enabled (A little extreme, but I am behind a firewall. )

or
    on the XP machine

Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | Local Security Policy

Security Settings

Sharing Mode- Change this to "Classic Mode - Local users Authenticate as Themselves" (as opposed to "Guest only" the default model)

(this step will be applied after a restart)

See:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...asp?frame=true

===============
    PC 'B' can ping the IP of PC 'A' but will not resolve PC 'A' to named host.
    Can't access PC 'A' resources from PC 'B' by IP address but still can ping

* The clue - I configured My Network Places --->Tools -->Folder Options -->Use Classic Windows Folders.
    This allowed Entire Network option to appear.
    When Selecting Entire Network on PC 'B' should have contained the following:

Microsoft Terminal Services
    Microsoft Windows Network
    Web Client Network

Microsoft Windows Network was MISSING from the list on PC 'B'

I looked at the NIC's properties and it did display Client Microsoft for Networks as being an installed option.

THE FIX:
    I uninstalled the Client Microsoft for Networks and REBOOTED the PC. After thr reboot I re-installed Client Microsoft for Networks. Volia! PC 'B' start seeing other network resources! I could access PC 'A' from PC 'B' !!!

From speculation behind the configuration scene, it appears the Client Microsoft for Networks was missing some important options/registry configs.

I suggest trying it.

If this solution works for you... please post!

Cheers!
    Last edited by inspyre; August 17th, 2004 at 03:34 AM.

Good catch inspyre

inspyre:
    You are my saviour. I've been trying to get a two computer lan working at my uncles office for like i dont know, too goddamn many totally disgusting hours and this "client for microsoft networks off-boot-on-boot" got it working

I truly felt obligated to post this "thank you"-message
    Thank you!