Thread: Printer printing faintly.

Printer printing faintly.

I have a Canon BJC 4300 printer; it has aways worked well, even though I have refilled the big black ink tank several times inthe past. I hate to junk the printer for I do a lot of black and white printing, and I do not know of any other ink tank (or printer) that holds 30 cc of black ink. Besides I paid for the ink refills; had to buy a pint of it.

Today, however, it printed clearly and legibly but only faintly. This was new. I was able to add 20 cc of ink; it will hold 30. It made no difference. Even if I print a Comic sans MS page (a thick-letter font) it is still faint. I shook it (with the area where the ink comes out in the down position) 20-30 times, hard. No difference. I cleaned the head physically--it was damn clean anyway--and ran the clean operation twice. I wait 20 minutes (tank in printer in its home position.) No difference. At times in the past shaking it worked well for 20 or so pages.

A new tank costs about $30.

I'd appreciate suggestions to avoid spending that $30.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    You could attempt to clean the printer head. If all you are doing is replacing the ink (and not the entire cartridge) it is possible that your printer heads are getting blocked/clogged (based on the assumption that the printer head is part of the cartridge - THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE).

Anyway, back to the point, check the manual for info on cleaning the printer heads. On my Epson, it is a simple button press for 5 seconds. This may assist remedy your problem.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Ink refills may be cheap but they'll eventually take its toll on the printer. I've never gone for a refill. I always replace the ink cartridge with original ones.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I'm share the boat with Conan...only genuine Epson ink for me. I wonder if it really makes a difference??

HP's ad campaign seems to think so...

I have always been using Epson. From my experience, any sort of ink refills or alternative ink cartridges ALWAYS decrease print quality and spoils the printer head. Therefore its always advised to replace the cartridge with ORIGINAL ones with those nifty little genuine stickers on it.

And there's also a difference with Epson, their printers normally have the heads on the printer not on the cartridge. So if the head is clogged with some imitation ink, you'll have to replace the printer. For most other brands, the head is on the cartridge so you'll be able to replace the head. The advantage to epson is that their ink is cheaper because you don't have pay for a new head everytime and their cartridges also hold more ink.

If you've already cleaned the heads many times but it prints sharp and clear but faintly, are you sure that you are not printing in draft mode?

Draft mode: Prints clearly and fast but faintly. Used for seeing the resulting print without ink wastage.
    Normal mode: Prints normally. Recommended for documents on normal paper.
    Quality mode: Prints deeply with increased quality. Best for photos on photo paper but saps lots of ink.

Hope it helps!
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    I have a Canon BJC 4300 printer; it has aways worked well, even though I have refilled the big black ink tank several times inthe past. I hate to junk the printer for I do a lot of black and white printing, and I do not know of any other ink tank (or printer) that holds 30 cc of black ink. Besides I paid for the ink refills; had to buy a pint of it.

Today, however, it printed clearly and legibly but only faintly. This was new. I was able to add 20 cc of ink; it will hold 30. It made no difference. Even if I print a Comic sans MS page (a thick-letter font) it is still faint. I shook it (with the area where the ink comes out in the down position) 20-30 times, hard. No difference. I cleaned the head physically--it was damn clean anyway--and ran the clean operation twice. I wait 20 minutes (tank in printer in its home position.) No difference. At times in the past shaking it worked well for 20 or so pages.

A new tank costs about $30.

I'd appreciate suggestions to avoid spending that $30.

Canon 4300

I just received a Canon 4300 from a friend that was sitting for about a year. After trying the Canon cleaning method about 100 times I gave up. I took a soft cotton cloth (old T-shirt) dampened with water and cleaned the heads on the cartdrige holder, not the cartdrige its self. I works like new. Just don't get crazy with the water and wait until it drys before testing it. Hope this helps. But like everyone else says, refilled cartdriges are only good for a limited number of uses.