Thread: Installing Windows updates with a connection to the server

Installing Windows updates with a connection to the server

Had to download and install SP1 for XP yesterday. It took 45-60 minutes to download and install due to a busy server. At 1 point a message appeared saying to check MS for a way to install the updates without staying server-connected. But can someone give me a link to where it will tell me how to do this. I failed to find the answer at www.microsoft.com or through Google.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Here you go Wumply. http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/p...p1/default.asp

You'll need the 'Network Installation' which is Micro$oft-speak for 'The Full Version'

SupaStar...Your link talked only about SP 1a which, having read it was not terribly important if one had SP 1, I never downloaded.

But the message I asked about in my question came when it was taking forever to download SP 1 as the server was so damned busy. Do the SP 1a options for installation of SP 1a also aply to SP 1? I'm all set at the moment--SP 1 is installed but if I ever have to do it again, I want to do it faster than in 1 hour.

Also (and I am on a local broadband network...my ISP provider) so I guess I could download the network installation using another computer on the same network. But where IS the network installation file--does it show up when one tries to download-- and what does it mean " download it to a network share"?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

SP1 and SP1a are essentially the same thing. To save you having to download the Service Pack more than once (should you choose to reinstall Windows) download the SP1a Network Installation file and burn it to a CD.

Once (if) you reinstall XP (as discussed in another thread) you can run the Service Pack from the CD you burnt.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Or slipstream it so that when you reinstall XP the Service Pack is already incorporated. But that's another complicated but useful endeavor.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    is it possible to slipstream SP1a as well as the required patches released so far? Or is that called Norton Ghost Image??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

The latter...

Or you can try AutoPatcher XP from http://www.autopatcher.com after you install the slipstreamed XP SP1a.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    The latter...
    Hehe... just looking into it now, funnily enough I cant read chinese

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---