Thread: E-mails with worms or viruses

E-mails with worms or viruses

02/17/04

I'm receiving 2 to 8 e-mails daily that, I assume, have a worm or virus attached. They are either returned as undeliverable (not sent by me) or an authentic looking message from MicroSoft regarding the latest patch. I immediately delete each one. I periodically scan for viruses (virus software is up to date) and use "SpyBot Search and Destroy" and "Ad Aware", in addition, my internet access comes through a router with a hardware firewall.
    Can it be that so many folks that have my e-mail address have been infected? My primary concern is that maybe my machine is being used as a zombie.
    Does anyone have a thought???

Thanks, Jim

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I've received some of those virus laden e-mails from people I have never heard of. Sometimes my e-mail address gets spoofed and sends out a virus though there is no evidence that my machine sent it out.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcd
    02/17/04

I'm receiving 2 to 8 e-mails daily that, I assume, have a worm or virus attached.
    Do they have a virus attached? What does the Virus Scan reveal? Which AntiVirus are you using?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    What happened to Hotmails attachement virus scan? does it get updated and detect these new viruses ??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    It should. It always scans my attachments and I have never contracted a virus through hotmail!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez jfmcd...Like was previously mentioned, your address is probably being spoofed as in the info seen here:

W32.Beagle.B@mm is a mass-mailing worm that opens a backdoor on TCP port 8866. The worm uses its own SMTP engine for email propagation. It can also send the attacker the port on which the backdoor listens and a randomized ID number.

The email has the following characteristics:

Subject: ID <random characters>... thanks
    Attachment: <random characters>.exe

Lots of these are out as you know. A good place to find this is WWW.SARC.COM

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    These spoofed emails are bad, I wasnt infected by any viruses but a relative's computer was, and she had my email address in her computer. So other people were getting virus emails from me - spoofed from her computer. Very distressing actually. Luckly, that email address is being relegated to non-use

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---