Thread: AGP & PCI ?

Question Agp & Pci ?

Anyone know if it's possible to run an ATI Radeon 9000 as the AGP Vid card and any random PCI for a PCI and to have AGP as first selected card ?

Had to install XP using a S3 PCI vid card and then installed the Radeon and took out the PCI. I have to monitors running from the Radeon and was wondering about running the second from the PCI that was originally installed. All works well if the choice of card in the BIOS is set to select PCI as 1st which of course makes the second the Radeon, however if it's selected as AGP 1st then for some reason I get a line of info when booting (before the BIOS), telling me the Radeon's RAM info and just hangs.
    Last edited by Coffee; February 10th, 2004 at 09:29 AM.
    Live long and prosper!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hmmm... I was trying a similar config a little while ago... From reading, it seems that by default the PCI card is the primary card and AGP secondary... however this was said to be overcome by changing the BIOS setting for Video initialization. However I would get the same error... using Radeon 7200 and S3 PCI.

I couldnt get it working in the end. Conclusion, was the BIOS setting just determines which to initialise first, not so much which to set as primary/secondary. Now, I think the primary/secondary status is set in Windows Display Control panel and select which device you want to be main window. And then XP will fix everything. The problem is that the PCI is first set to Primary.

Now the thing to check in your case, is if the S3 and its drivers actually work in XP... i couldnt find any XP drivers and win2k/NT drivers "couldnt start the device" but the theory worked great on my win98 machine. So, first remove the AGP radeon card, install the S3 PCI, start up XP and see if it works. if yes, then you should be ok.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Hmmm...I don't know cash. i know AGP nVidia cards let you add a secondary PCI card of any brand. This is not a BIOS setting.

I'm using an old PCI Matrox Millenium II in one of my other PCs and it's either using XPs default drivers (unlikely) or possibly a Windows 2000 driver (which btw should be available for most cards).

Yeah Im not saying that the AGP card limits the addition of a PCI card. I think the main problem is trying to get the PCI to work under XP alone, and them if it works in 2 monitor config. I think my old PCI cards <1meg memory are way too old. I think they dont even support win2k only win98 and winNT.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks for the reply, was getting worried no one else had this problem.

My older brother has his setup with both a PCI and NVIDIA card and has managed to set his up with either card as the primary, which is what made me look into doing it myself. However it just seems to not work for me with the Radeon.

The S3 can be used as the primary with or without the Radeon added, as I mentioned it was the card I had to actually use with my copy of XP, something wouldn't allow me to install when using the Radeon. It just doesn't like it when I choose the Radeon over the S3 in the BIOS, just seems to get jelouse.
    Live long and prosper!

Ok, so the S3 works in XP with/out Radeon, good. (Might be windows activation thats stopping you installing with Radeon)

Anyway, how about setting PCI in BIOS, then in windows set Radeon to be Primary. I think the computer has to initialise PCI first then AGP, but windows should be able to determine which is primary from the display setting.

Let me know how it goes, cos I will get my S3 out and do the same

cheers

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I tried to configure everything I could find in XP, although have hit a dead end. The display properties for some reason won't let me choose to switch which I want as primary, so I've given up with trying the S3. I've already got 2 minitors as it is, so I guess unless I want 3 or just some extra hastle with a second card, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Cheers for ur help anyway on that one chaps.
    Live long and prosper!