Thread: Update DMI Pool Data lockup

Unhappy Update DMI Pool Data lockup

I am trying to install a different hard drive into an older computer. The drive was functioning flawlessly in another machine. I get the drive setup and the CMOS in the computer updated, but at the, "Updating DMI Pool data" during the boot process, the floppy LED illuminates and the computer freezes.
    The computer works fine with the hard drive that I am trying to replace. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks!
    Harald

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Hi HaraldG,welcome to techzonez.The following is something I foundpertaining to the updating of pool data upon bootup.Issue:

Computer stops at verifying dmi pool data...

Cause:

This issue can be caused by any of the following:

1)Corrupt boot files on the computer.
    2)Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.
    3)Boot devices not set properly.
    4)BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
    5)Connections loose or disconnected.
    6)Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.

While one of these may apply to your problem,I have a suspiscion that the chipset drivers on your recipient computer are different from the ones on the host.Some people have had success in swapping off hard drives from different chipsets including video drivers.In order to do this you must put the hard drive back in the host computer and remove as many hardware related drivers as possible.For example,if you are using VIA's 4 in 1 drivers for that particular motherboard chipset then you would uninstall and have windows install generic drivers.That way if your recipient machine is using an SIS 745 or something like that,then windows will detect it and install the generic drivers for the new board.Here is a site that explains the how to's.CLICKHERE
    Last edited by zipp51; February 13th, 2004 at 01:19 AM.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    How "old" is this computer, what's the size of the old drive, what's the size of the new drive you are trying to put in?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I had a similar issue with an old computer, and it was down to the different chipset drivers from host and destination comps. I just reformatted, was going to intall XP anyway, but the generic driver option would have worked too.

ALso, conan might be eluding to maybe you are putting in bigger HD than bios can handle ie >500 in win95 comp or >37 gb etc

goodluck.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Back a little further

I very much appreciate the responses, but the lockup happens on the hardware, not the driver level. I am putting a 4.5Gig HD in a computer that had a 1.5Gig HD. The BIOS appears to handle the size without a problem. The funny thing is that I can boot from a floppy without any problem, just not from the HD.
    The computer is a 200+Mhz, with an IBM 6X86L CPU. The computer is 6-7 years old with an Intel Chipset MB.
    The hard lockup happens immediately after the post, before the DOS boot of the computer. I did a diskcopy of the former to the present hard drive, after partitioning it with partition magic without a hitch in that whole process.
    Appreciate any further thoughts.
    Harald

and it was down to the different chipset drivers from host and destination comps
    Check out the chipset drivers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Which operating system does your hard drive have on it?If it is XP your recipient motherboard may not be fully ACPI compliant.I had this problem on a few older systems after installing windows xp.If your bios is not recognized during setup then the HAL ACPI (hardware abstraction layer) will not be installed.You can overide this setting however.Here is the "how to" link from Microsoft.ACPI
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

This is not a driver issue!!!

I am not sure if anyone looked at my last response. This is a hardware, not driver issue. The lockup happens at the time of hardware post before any software, other than from the MB BIOS loads. No OS is loading, nor am I trying to load any, I only have DOS installed on the "new" hard drive, nothing else.
    Harald

Well really DOS is an OS, and does load some hardware drivers (MB) as the startup process. Now, did this new HD have DOS on it, or did you install it, the Format, then install DOS? what dos version?

Ok, when you did the diskcopy, did you copy to the Primary Boot partition of the new drive? Did you create the partition in FAT format or dos compatible?

What are your plans for the computer? win98 or win95 or linux etc Do you still need all the stuff on the HD?

Well hope it works out. it can be quite frustrating.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Cool Still Struggling with DMI Pool Data

The Details:
    I have flashed the Tekram MB BIOS, to supposedly work with Drives over 8Gig.
    I have installed a 10Gig drive, completely cleaned off, with Norton Utilities Diskedit. I then partitioned it with Powerquest Partition Magic, into three partitions, 2Gig, 6Gig and 2Gig. The computer boots fine from a floppy and the HD is all there and fully accessible. I then transferred the OS, WIN98, to the new C: partition. Trying to boot from the HD, the computer then hangs, will not boot.
    I have tried two different 10Gig drives, with the one the hang is at "Verifying DMI Pool Data," with the floppy LED remaining lit. With the other it goes beyond the above error and the error, "Press any key to Reboot" comes on the screen.
    It appears more and more obvious that the MB BIOS cannot handle the drives in question. There is a note on the Tekram website about this MB that Quantum drives over 8Gig might have a problem and the work around is to set the drive parameters manually. I have done that for both the drives in quesiton, using the parameters given on the drives, not using the automatically detected LBA parameters that the BIOS comes up with when automatically detecting the drive. Sigh!
    Harald

Ok Harald, now we are slowly getting somewhere. After you create the partitions did you set the C: partition to be the primary and Boot Partition? Also, you cant simply copy the win98 OS to the partition and expect it to work. You can copy the win98 cab files (excellent idea - we all do that) but you will still have to boot up with the win98 startup disk, this loads a temporary DOS, then switch to C:\ drive, go to win98 directory and finally run setup.exe to actually install win98 to your c drive partition. Win98 should then detect the other partitions and ask to format in Fat32 if required or simply give them drive letters ie D, E, F etc

Then, once win98 has been installed, install all the MB drivers from the utility CD and you should be right as rain.

If this still doesnt work, then try putting those HD in another computer to verify the HDs are still good. If they are good, then it seems your MB is no good, or at least not compatible with the configuration you want.

Good Luck.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---