Thread: Meaning of registry entries

Meaning of registry entries

Google is not becoming my default search engine the way the small program from Google I downloaded was supposed to make it. So I downloaded another Google program that would set things back to where IE was my default engine.. Each time I rebooted. OK. Now figuring I was at ground zero, I redownloaded the google program that would make google my default and cause Google to fill my entire monitor. But even though I installed and rebooted, Google Search engine filled only the left half of the page...just the way MSIE does.

So I thought OK...I'll get into the registry and delete the Google entries, click on left pane nodes.

1. So I went in, searched for "google". There were two entries in the right pane only...nothing more anywhere. Now I can't delete those, right---I can only delete nodes in the left pane. In the right pane, you can only change values---am I correct?

I guess I should leave those two google entries in the right pane alone since I have no idea what to replace them with.

Explanations of the registry on the net never answer these questions!!!!!

2. But, do tell me this, please...here are two sample entries from the right pane.

oll smooth scroll REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
    llo

ab start page REG_SZ http://www.microsoft.com

The characters in front of the entries have a thin line around them.

a. What is the meaning of the initial characters?

b. What is SZ...I know DWord stands for Double Word?

c. And all those zeros and the www address---are they values that one has the option to change.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

I recomment that if you are not comfortable inside registry, then don't make changes unless you can answer yes to the following questions.

1. Have you backed up the registry?
    2. Are you willing to reinstall everything if something goes wrong?

I delete items from the registry oten. The only entries that I delete are for software that I have recently uninstalled.

You didn't mention which browser you are talking about and you did not state where in registry the google entries reside.

Remember that some mistakes in registry will cripple your computer.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Be very careful with registry, back it up... actually do the whole comp while your there.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Be very careful with registry, back it up... actually do the whole comp while your there.
    Back up the whole computer??? That's a pretty extensive process--and back up to what??? I'm unclear as to exactly what you meant.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Back up the whole computer??? That's a pretty extensive process--and back up to what??? I'm unclear as to exactly what you meant.
    wumply its quite simple to back up the registry here are the steps:

goto start>>>run TYPE "regedit" (minus the "") click ok. That will bring you to the registry.

then goto file export>>>choose where you want to save it to and give it a name for example "MY.BACK.UP.2.13.04" then click save. that's all. But heed the warning of the other members BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Yes backing up your computer is a tough process, but excellent way to restore a broken computer You can use a backup program such as DriveImage or Norton Ghost, and it creates an Image (backup) of your HD which you can either store on CD-R/DVD-R/or another HD/Computer etc.

This way, if you brake the Registry or other Dll's etc, you can simply restore the backup. Easy. Also gives a piece of mind.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---