Thread: Colorful site shortcut icons on your deskto

Colorful site shortcut icons on your deskto

This worked for me with MSIE. I like colorful icons.- shortcuts.

At first I just dragged the IE icon just to the left of the address bar when I was at a site to my desktop. It had the site's name underneath it. But then I noticed that if I put such a site in Favorites, the icon was often pretty and colorful. Then I tried dragging these shortcuts from the favorites list to my desktop and they appeared as such. And if I had big E icons already there, they automatically changed into the colorful variation as soon as I put them in Favorites. They still have the site's name.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Nice find wumply, I use the Links bar in IE, and when I drag links to it they get the new colorful icon, but then if i reset etc, they revert back to default IE icon.

any thoughts?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Nice find wumply, I use the Links bar in IE, and when I drag links to it they get the new colorful icon, but then if i reset etc, they revert back to default IE icon.

any thoughts?
    If you reset they go away??? You mean you hung and got out of it by pressing the reset bfutton?

I hit the reset button a lot lately beause I was hanging a lot (that hassle is over now) but during those times I wasn't even paying attention to the icons. For the last 2-3 days now I haven't had to reset. Upshot is I have no ideas at this point. I'll write myself a note to think about it and watch if I should think of or come across a way around it...and let you know.

Hey, what would happen if I hit the reset button just for fun? I should just end up back where I was, correct?

By the way, do you know anything about the file icuuc22.DLL--what it's for and where I can get it? I tried a site with a gadzillion of DLLs but no luck. It MAY be associated with Open Office, but not sure. (www.openoffice.org)

I should know (or think I should)--and will if you tell me--what is the links bar in IE...can you describe it briefly?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

what is the links bar in IE...can you describe it briefly?
    Its a sort of extension to the Favorites. But instead of going thru the menu for Favourites and selecting your site, you can drag a URL to the link toolbar, and creates a button for it. So you just have to Click it to go to the page. Simple, nice & easy.

You may have to move it around and put it under the Adress toolbar, or enable it by right-clicking on the menus and select Links

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Its a sort of extension to the Favorites. But instead of going thru the menu for Favourites and selecting your site, you can drag a URL to the link toolbar, and creates a button for it. So you just have to Click it to go to the page. Simple, nice & easy.

You may have to move it around and put it under the Adress toolbar, or enable it by right-clicking on the menus and select Links
    Very nice!!

Cash_Site

I got too curious to know if my colorful desktop icons would turn into Big E's if I reset.

So I reset with no other reason than to find out and no, I did not lose the colorful icons.

Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Cash_Site
    I got too curious to know if my colorful desktop icons would turn into Big E's if I reset.
    So I reset with no other reason than to find out and no, I did not lose the colorful icons.
    Hmmh... I dont know what returns mine back to default. Oh well, just one of those things.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Hmmh... I dont know what returns mine back to default. Oh well, just one of those things.
    Here's my guess. If you religiously clean out the contents of your Temporary Internet Files folder, the colorful icons will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Here's my guess. If you religiously clean out the contents of your Temporary Internet Files folder, the colorful icons will disappear.
    Ahh Yes, that's probly it... every now and again my hotmail fails to login, so a quick cookie and Temp clean fixes it

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    @wumply

Yes that .dll is from Open Office.