Thread: USB External HDD... better make sure it is 2.0

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Lightbulb USB External HDD... better make sure it is 2.0

I have a 2.0 external HDD.. was looking forward to trying it out. So the past two days I have been testing it.. Well my motherboard supports 4 USB 1.0 ports..

MY GOD.. IT BLOWS. The speed is horrendous.. I cannot believe it. I mean it takes 25 minutes to transfer 800MB..

I tried to copy and paste over 27GB of crap I have collected over the years.. it was going to take 2000Minutes or more.. LOL

I have since ordered a USB 2.0/Firewire 8 port PCI card.. I just cannot stomach these slow transfers.. hell I can download faster than I am transfering over the USB 1.0 ports.. how pathetic is that?
    LOL

This is the card I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3666

This is the External USB enclosure I bought:

http://www.dattech.com/details.asp?P...9&CategoryID=7

and I put a Seagate 200GB 7200RPM, 8MB cache HDD in it. The led on the front is huge.. looks to be about 8cm long and is Smurf blue LOL

It's noisy as hell too. It comes with it's own fan and it just adds to the noise. Some things to think about if you decide to get a USB external HDD.. get one that is powered by the USB port only (you'll need to use a laptop 2.5" drive) but in the end you will appreciate the quiteness of a fanless model..

The nice thing about the Speedzter 3 is the way the HDD is inserted. It takes no time to remove it.. not unlike some other models. Also it is rather small compared to the other models I looked at. I like the aluminum case.. looks sharp, comes with 4 rubber stands to give the drive grip on the surface of wherever you set it.

Will let you know how the speeds improve when I finally get that USB 2.0 card.

Well I have installed the new USB 2.0 Ali PCI card. Works well, I just think I need to tweak it. That same 800MB file now takes 2 minutes instead of 25. BUt it should only take like 20 seconds... I don't know what is going on there.

I am impressed. I now have 6 USB 2.0 ports and 2 firewire ports to utilize.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    It's about time for a new motherboard with USB 2 built in.

yeah, I'll eventually get around to it. But now I have 6 USB 2.0 ports and 2 firewire. Works great. I love 400-480mbit per second.