Thread: How well Server 2003 handles Direct 3D ?

Question How well Server 2003 handles Direct 3D ?

Does anyone know how well Windows Sever 2003 handles Direct 3D, and software such as 3D Studio Max?
    Live long and prosper!

I guess nobody knows the answer?¿

I'm wanting to upgrade as soon as possible but having a hard time finding out just what Windows Server 2003 has to offer in the way of support for Direct 3D, OpenGL and even DirectX. I know they are supported however, how well do Apps that use the technology run or how much do they suffer.

If anyone knows anything, is running or has run any 3D software, pleeeeease let me know.
    Live long and prosper!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Windows 2003 is not optimized for 3D output. It is a server operating system. It is made to serve files, web pages and so on. It is not a gaming OS.

That said, there are several guides to set you up and make it more suitable as a workstation type OS with 3D capabilities.

What titles of 3D software are you talking about specifically?

I had a feeling it wouldn't be optimized, like you say, it's a server not really something to run games on. I've had a look at a guide to set things up for running 3D software, DVD's & various games but none of them really said how well it would cope. The 3D software I'm wanting to run is 3D Studio Max 6, which is a fairly hefty application which is why I'm wondering if I can just get away with installing 2003 & no extra OS's.

Thanks for the reply btw
    Last edited by Coffee; March 8th, 2004 at 18:31 PM.
    Live long and prosper!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If you do install Windows 2003 just use that optimization guide. it works well. Some people even claimed to game on that OS with those optimizations.

If you do decide to take the plunge let us know your results.

Shall do
    Live long and prosper!

Well, taken the plunge into 2003.
    Found this guide to setting up 2003 to act as a workstation...
    http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/index.htm

Nice & simple to go through, managed to be watching DVD's and playing games in no time at all. All ya need to is pretty much enable Direct 3D, and then configure everything to run optimally, like services atc. background tasks can always slow things down a little.
    Only thing i haven't managed to do yet is install any visual styles. Went through patching the uxtheme.dll fine, but am confused a little as to what and how i install a style?¿ probably missing something fairly obviouse.

Coffee.
    Live long and prosper!

Smile How to enable graphic acceleration in Win Server 2003

How to enable graphic acceleration in Windows Server 2003?

Windows Server 2003 Graphics Acceleration is disabled by default, which disables DirectX functionality. This is to enhance server stability and is not needed in standard server scenarios.

To enable DirectX, you must first enable graphics acceleration. To do so follow the next steps:

Right click on the desktop and go to Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshooting.
    Set the Hardware acceleration bar to Full.

Click Ok all the way out.
    To activate Direct3D and DirectDraw (DirectX) follow the next steps:

Go to Start/Run and type "dxdiag".
    Click OK.
    Click on the Display tab, then click on the Enable button for DirectDraw and Direct3d.

Click Ok all the way out.

I Hope this information Is enough.