Thread: Windows Update Services

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Post Windows Update Services

Well, I think this would go into Software and Networking too, but it is more related to security.
    Anyhow, since my company's network is behind a proxy automated updates doesn't work, and NT doesn't have the automatic update either. So, finally I got some extra time (a month ago) and I started to look for solutions to deply security update for the OS, and I came accross this, which is actually free. You just need a computer running Windows 2K server or 2003 Server. It is quite easy to deploy and a great free alternative to deployment software which can be costly.
    I thought it would be good to mention it. M$ sometimes lacks in support, or has special products (I hate the idea to have a server with special OS to track Licences ), but this one is actually good.
    This is my review (we could say the unofficial TZ review )
    The good
    -Cost Effective (free, not included the Windows Server)
    -Easy to Deploy. Simple instalation server side with Little configuration. For Clients can be used Group Policies (Active Directory Domain, or Registry)
    -It covers NT, 2K, XP, and 2003 computers (I didn't check for 98 or ME)
    -Updates can be specified by aproval, so they can be tested before making them available
    -Can reduce Internet use if configured for updates to be hosted locally (server needs 1.5 GB HDD for Cab files)
    -Faster deployment of patches, sucurity updates, and cumulative updates
    -Can be specified if client computer will restart automatically, wait for user input, or wait for manual restart.
    -Remote administration thru HTML interface. (Only local or Domain Administrators can open the intranet)
    -Supports deploy of different languagues.

The bad
    -There is no centralized view of updates availble. (You have to check each PC event log)
    -It doesn't deploy drivers updates
    -It doesn't deploy other software (not even office, or 3th party)
    -Server software won't run on Workstation OS, so there is a need to have a Server Licence installed.

Overral
    It seems a good centralized option for Automatic updates for small to medium networks. Larger Network with more budget might want to get a more profesional software package deploy utility which usually also bring some extras (remote registry, remote even log, remote everything , Asset tracking and so)
    If you are only interested in the update of windows systems this is a good solution

Have you used Windows Update Services??
    If you have a have a question, I have some updates .Net framework SP2 in chinese, french and so that appear in the aproval list. How can I remove this update from the list and from the server in order to remove dead space. I think that would be also a bad point for SUS since there is no simple solution to delete updates. I am guessing it could be removed from the cab (if I knew the cab name)

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Thats a nice find Dehc, and good follow up question. Is there any support for the freeware? does it come with good txts or Help file?

I guess it is something to try out and find out for oneself.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Sofware Update Services Home
    From there you can find most of the info.
    The Deployment White Paper which contains most of the info. It is quite a big document (I only used 3 pages from it, where are the registry keys , I believe is page 62 [for non Active Directory networks])
    And the Overview
    I recomend SAve as for the document, if you click it will open it in the page (and it is real slow)

Question for Rev, WHY I AM NOT GETTING MY NOTIFICATIONS??