Thread: Security Alerts and Patch, cumulative Patch etc???

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Security Alerts and Patch, cumulative Patch etc???

OK, As I have stated before, I have deployed a SUS server (Windows System Updates Services). The problem is that I don't really have the time to try the updates to make sure they don't destroy the computer instead of fixing it (We know a couple of updates that did this).
    So, I was looking for a good source of update alerts and such, where I can see what are the new windows updates, and which aren't good like instantly.
    I know I am a bit picky. Maybe MSN Alerts have a big effect on me (I use them as my calendar, accident reports, weather report, virus report) and I also have Symantec and McAfee reports so I know when a new virus is causing Havoc since the stupid Live update doesn't want to waork by itself.
    Do you guys know of something like what I need (want)?
    TKS

No answer yet for this topic??

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Sorry Dehc, you are always on the cutting edge of innovation, and we smacktards have no idea. You might have to write your own alert program that connects to windowsupdate.com and checks to see if new patches are available.

Else, Im stumped?? Good Luck.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

HEHE, well. Here is in what I am really interested, in to know important security alerts. I can easily know if there are update just be checking the synch log of SUS, but which of those updates are REALLY important that need to be deploy ASAP.
    And the other problem, is which of those updates could harm the correct functioning of the PC. I had a PC with a corrupted HIVE (software) after updating. No prob, it was NT anyways and needed to be replaced, but imagine if that happens to all NT PCs at work (about 50) I would be working overtime for months
    I was looking for a site that keeps track, and the Windows security bulletin seems to kind of show are more important, but M$ is always slow in recognizing a bad patch that brakes more the PC than what it fixes (ex, first patches for XP, that needed a patch for the patch)

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Well as general rule you should always install the latest security alerts.That's what being an admin is all about.Its called responsibilities.

I know some patches in the past may have caused further problems,but better to be safe than sorry IMHO.

Check this out dehc Patch Management, Security Updates, and Downloads it may be useful

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Been there, done that
    I wouldn't have a problem to check that site as often as needed. It is just that my boss doesn't actually understand my responsabilities, and I don't have enought time to do my job.
    I already spend like 2 hours a day just checking for a backup which strategy is horrible planned (but it was his idea)
    My previous job was so easy. A couple of checks a day, everything work great. Biggest problem was a freeze up of the Linux GUI in a server (didn't like video card) nothing serious. Spent my afternoons in eBay checking for new hardware to buy, and dinking donuts and coffe (I gain 10 pounds in that job) but it was with a company that actually understood about technology. At my current job, too much politics and making people happy, I waste all my time running behind users