Thread: Route table, how to change??

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Route table, how to change??

OK, I want to add an entry in the Host table. The trick?? That it has to be in a non power user. route add command requires administrator rights (not evev power user).
    I tried making it a batch and saving it as exe, so I could use run ass, but that didn't work either, because it always try to use the user account, so I have to change it manually (is there a way to make it always use certain account?)
    But, also, it doesn't work as an EXE, only as a bat.
    I was thinking maybe there is a more permanent way to change it, since using route add command takes out that change made after a reboot. Maybe there is a file thatr host the route information.
    Ideas??

Nobody has an idea????
    C'mom, I know there are smart people here.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    sorry man no experience with routing tables. anyone else?

I looked in the Internet, but I got a lot of hints to other stuf (I can't remember what now) It was a very google frustrting experience

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    Are you trying to assign an IP to a certain Domain ? or add to a routing table?

You can manually define hosts in the hosts file found here
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Alternatively you could write a .bat file and add this to your "logon" script

XP and Win2k

>Control Panel
    >>Administrator tools
    >>>Computer Managerment
    >>>>Local Users and Groups
    >>>>>Users
    >>>>>>Double Click on the USER (you)
    >>>>>>>Choose profile tab
    >>>>>>>>Insert path and filename of login script

Everytime you login to your machine it will run that script for you

Thanks Richard, I will try it out, but here is the problem, the user doesn't have administrator rights. And with power user rights (local) cannot do it either.
    At work we have a Domain, and it is behind a proxy (which I have no access to, since it is in another building managed by another admin)
    so, one aplication needs to connect thru Internet in order to update information. IT does this to a specific IP. So we used Layer 3 in our switches and made that the switch forward that IP only thru a different T1 line.
    So, we have to change the routing table from that computer (user) so when whenever she is uploading the information it connects that IP thru this layout. That way we can keep her bnehind the proxy, and still connect.
    The command is somethng like this (I replace the IP by XX schematic)
    route add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxA Mask 255.255.255.255.255 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXB
    Note: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxA is the IP we need to reach, completely outside our network
    XXX.XXX.XXX.XXB is an IP insdide the network (same subnet), this is the switch which will forward that access.
    Everytime we restart the computer the table is set to the dafault again (losign our changes) and the changes need admin right too.
    The other thing I was looking into is to make that batch into a service so I can specify which account will run it