Thread: pci.sys error and subsequent actions

Bronze Member

pci.sys error and subsequent actions

hello everyone, been traveling around and now i have been home for 3-4 days and now to travel some more commencing tuesday.

have not really been able to post- around xmas time, with my warranty almost ending and noticing a hardware problem, i brought in my old toshiba laptop for repairs. they gave me a new motherboard and fix the ram slots and then everything worked fine esp with the portable battery being able to boot up with no problem.

after 2 weeks, i notice the laptop would not power up when starting. i was now is a different city with no warranty. toshiba gave me an extension and the repair force gave me another motherboard. but when they returned the laptop to me, they noticed i had a pci.sys error. and thus, i could not even boot up into windows to see if they did the work right. i was told i had to use my recovery disk to over ride the problem which of course meant reformating my computer and starting all over again with windows 98 the first ed- not the 2nd edition and upgrade all to xp pro. ( i imaged and backed everything before i left so that was not a problem.)

so later on, returning home, i discovered--the problem was- the recovery disk did not work.. i got a vxd error which tech support said and so did the toshiba repairman- i had a corrupted/scratched recovery disk. and Toshiba did NOT have for sale a recovery disk, esp since it was a windows 98 first ed. the repairman wanted $120. that was the end. i bought a new 2.8 p4,`multi-format dvd burner and voila.

now i have to go away and i am thinking how to correct the vxd error. i am not convinced to have a working recovery disk is the answer. i am thinking somehow getting a working recovery disk and find out.

helluva a story- any comments, suggestions and jokes? much obliged.-- cm

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar
    well what you could is what i did to fix probs like that make a image of your comp oince you got it the way you like it, use norton gohst, and make a back ghost image, comperess it, burn it to the dvd disc, and make a back of the disk then use 1 copy and keep the other in a safe palce, like a jewel case, and it should not be a prob,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Bronze Member
    i did make an image and i always do a double backup with 2 different mediums.

you see, i was totally unable even to boot up into windows in any fashion. there was no workaround the vxd error. i could not even pass that vxd error message in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_warez
    well what you could is what i did to fix probs like that make a image of your comp oince you got it the way you like it, use norton gohst, and make a back ghost image, comperess it, burn it to the dvd disc, and make a back of the disk then use 1 copy and keep the other in a safe palce, like a jewel case, and it should not be a prob,

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    What exactly is the error message?

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    What exactly is the error message?
    the message is:

while initalizing device VCACHE:
    Windows protection error. you need to restart your computer.

this is different than the one before.

anyway i reboot (alt ctrl dle) and then windows state- did not close correctly and offers Safe Mode, Normal Mode etc. i ignore the choices (to write this) and and get the message- windows protection error restart your computer.

then i do a cold boot. and this is the message: Invalid VxD dynamic link to device #3 service 8. Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run Windows setup program.

NOTE: these errors are occuring after i do a compete restore from the recovery disk. i have done this several times with the same error message. I even got a error message stating- (after booting up ) Insufficient memory to <something> Quit or remove some programs to get more memory.

--
    btw- i will be leaving shortly and will get back to the replies when i return from my travels. I want to find out what is doing on. thanks.