Thread: Copying video tapes to DVD

Copying video tapes to DVD

There are computer-independent units out there that let me connect my vcr directly to the unit, whch then digitizes the video and put its on a DVD. Considering that I currently only have USB 1.1, no copying-digitizing transfer software and no DVD drive in my computer, would this be a recommended way to go. If so, which units would you recommend? (I do have a DVD player for my TV which is where I would watch any DVDs I made froml the videos.

Or would it be more practical to get the DVD drive, the software, the USB 2.0 deal (does that come as a PCI card?) and the cables to connect vcr to my computer?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Wumply I have no idea how I missed this post. I would get a DVD recorder external set top box. It will be cheaper, faster, and there is no software to learn how to use.. no real way to mess up a CD and so on.

You just plug your VCR into the DVD recorder, press play on the VCR, and press record on the DVD recorder, and you are done. Can't get much simpler than that.. Also if you were to go the PC route, it will tie your PC up while you are recording.

BUt maybe someone else has a better suggestion as to why you'd want to go the PC route.

I know of a few reasons, you can customize the video that you put on the DVD, with menus, titles, and so on. You can edit the video, cut, paste, crop and so on. You can also add background music as well. The customization is something to think about. If that is important maybe you want to go the DVDR drive, USB 2.0 PCI card, and so on.

To connect your VCR to your PC, you'll need a device like the one I'm posting below:

Belkin - USB VideoBus II - USB Video Capture
    Windows PC ... US$ 99.95

Stereo USB Video Capture For PC. Capture home video or pictures from any camcorder, VCR (NTSC, PAL, or SECAM), or other video device to show friends; it has stereo sound capture.
    Installation software with MGI VideoWave III SE, PhotoSuite III SE (edit scenes, enhance photographs, create photo albums, greeting cards, and calendars at your desktop), Microsoft Explorer, Outlook Express (e-mail photos, video clips, and movies), Media Player (transfer video from analog video camera of VCR to your PC), NetMeeting (Vdieoconference with friends and colleagues anywhere in the world), and TeVeo Live (web cam software). Capture, edit and produce videos on your computer at resolutions up to 352 x 288 dpi and 30 fps.

http://www.usbstuff.com/capture.html

Or a similiar device. For I'd say around $250-$350 you could set your PC up as a DVD converter from VHS.

Hope that helps.

Yep, as I've poked around the net...Panasonic...Phillips, reading reviews in PC World and at dealtime.com and pricegrabber.com, I've come pretty much to the conclusion that the DVD recorder is just the easiest, most practical way to go.

But can one do any editing with such? I would only want to make each selection a chapter I could select real easily. Can I do that?

And could I make a playlist of each bit I save (for I only want to copy from VHS tapes) or is that asking too much?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Yes you can do basic editing with the set top box. It all depends on the unit that you buy. For a good review and rundown of some of the best DVD recorders available check out TechTV's report below:

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/prod...405534,00.html