Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD-R's...

CD-R's...

Hey All,

Assuming (don't know whether it's good or bad.. ) everyone buys their CD's in bulk (100 or more), my question to you is what kind do you recommend/use? Do you order via internet? If so, where is a good trusted source to order?

Any help will be appreciated.

FBM

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I personally use TDK or Memorex. in 50 & 100 packs at bestbuy or target. I've tried those generic silver faced ones and man are those terrible. I mean you look at those wrong and they start to flake off or scratch.

I have had no trouble with the bargain brands. I usually buy Imation in 50 pack. I have bought "No name generic" before. They all worked and at the speed advertized or faster.

I had a lot of trouble with disk prior to purchase of my present burner. Now I never make a coaster.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I use generic ones. I actually use whatever is cheaper....but here is what I think
    They work fine. You can record on them. Most of the time just fine, not errors.
    But after a while when you try to read them, problems might arise. I had CDs with videos, where some would have problem. I also have CDs with MP3 a lot. My previous car had an MP3 player, so I used to put all my music in MP3 Cds. New car, (actually, the old new car) I bought a CD player with MP3 and can't play most of the CDs. Why? Reading errors.
    Depending of what you use them for is what you should get. I haven't try Memorex, since my first experience in CD-r with them was horrible (I threw away 8 CD-Rs and 1 CD-RW) but from what I heard they changed. Memorex in DVD seem solid.
    TDK are made by the manufacturer that we didn't recommend if I am not mistake.
    I can't remember the thread, and some specific words to search for it (*I already tried*) But maybe one of the other guys remember that thread about CDs going bad (from Insider, or Inquirer or something like that)

memorex 100 packs seem to have no problems with them. fairly cheap to buy at best buy too! every month or so there will be some rebates on em that take 50 packs down to like $5 or so... not a bad deal there...

does it matter whether it's blue or silver?
    Last edited by FBM357; March 5th, 2004 at 15:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FBM357
    does it matter whether it's blue or silver?
    Yes the higher quality is silver.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

OK, here is the link to that post.
    I hope it helps some. (it was difficult to find)
    http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...highlight=CD-R

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Imation,TDK,Memorex,Fuji Film,for me.Also TDK DVD-R have been good so far.Sony DVD+RW work great in my Sony Burner.Here is a comparison of 4 different media brands.C/netReview I'm going to try Yamaha.They are the most expensive but might be worth having the quality.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well basically for copying purposes the generic ones are fine now if you what to archive the stuff use better media like the ones above.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    well basically for copying purposes the generic ones are fine now if you what to archive the stuff use better media like the ones above.
    Exactly what I was thinking...Cheap is good! But it depends on it's use...

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Look for brands that are made in Japan, they will be made by Taiyo Yuden. the last set I bought at Best Buy were the white face Memorex and they were made in Japan TY's I would use good CD-R's for serious things and what ever cheap stuff works in your burner for other not so serious stuff.

Point to remember....the real good Made in Japan Taiyo Yuden's usally cost the same as the cheap stuff so why not buy the best if you can

Verbatum Data Life Plus are good non Taiyo Yuden CD's

What are good DVDs?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25
    What are good DVDs?
    Well a lot depends on the brand of burner you have, most DVD burners are not tolerant of crummy media.

In general the Fuji TY's are said to be best with Maxwell made in japan next and then the TDK's.

crummy media?
    My burner is .....I have no idea
    I use the DVD recorder to burn Animes. That way I can save 19 episodes in one Media, and I don't need that many CDs, so it is for my own use, not to share with anybody (I am the only one that likes Anime in my family )
    So, Tayio Yunden still the best for DVD and CD?