Thread: Worms and Viruses going up

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Exclamation Worms and Viruses going up

I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but for the time being, if you can, I suggest to increase the frequency that your AV updates.
    At work I have to update it manyally (stupid Live update don't wanna work automatically) and I check the Symantec Resource Center everyday. Lately, in the past 2 months I had to increase to look every day. This last 2 weeks were even worse, there have been even 3 updates in a day. So now I am checking when I come to work, and after I leave
    Just yesterday, we had a virus. The night before I updated the AV, it got in yesterday, and Symantec had an update just 20 minutes before we got the virus.
    It has been some crazy weeks. I guess now would be a big time to check which AVs are actually good. Lots of MyDoom and Beagle versions around.
    Cheers, and happy updating

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i checked my company email today and had over 900 viruses and about 100 real emails.

Tough job!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Believe it or not Panda has new signitures(updates) every 3 to 4 days.I remember going over 7 days not too long ago.Wow,there are some busy little authors out there. I have it scan Outlook and Outlook Express everytime I check my mail,on or off line.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Fred2

free cleaners

I recently upgraded to NOD32 Anti-Virus and it checks for updates every hour. It's also got this Advanced Heuristics which I know does work 'cos it caught a Bagle recently which only got named a couple of hours later (another variant)

NOD also does free cleaners for some viruses. You can download them from their site at http://www.nod32.uk.com

---
    right says

On more than one occasion, during the last month, there have been two updates for AVG during a single 24 hour period. Even had an update on a Sunday.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Fred2
    I think my best was few weeks ago when I got 4 or 5 updates in the one day .. it was the weekend of the Bagle-fest.

---
    right says

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Thank god updates are free.. imagine being charged per update

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    Thank god updates are free.. imagine being charged per update
    Please dont put ideas into their heads, Im sure though they are thinking of it or definitely increasing the cost of the product, especially if they are updating defs every few hours

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Ohh not to worry Cash
    it is job security for coders Plus it is all outsourced, so it is cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25
    Ohh not to worry Cash
    it is job security for coders Plus it is all outsourced, so it is cheaper
    hehe, absolutely, although there are reports that the average wage of out-sourcing coders is increasing quite a lot, and soon it will be cheaper to, err... in-source coders LOL.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

There are always other countries. Arg for example. With dollar 3:1, plus average salary a month for a programmer is 600 pesos (200 dollars)
    Have you thought about it??
    I know some people on Argentina if I just gave you an idea Plus Argentineans we are very dedicated, and detailed. but we mainly use Linux there (imaging paying 1000 dollars for Windows? That is how it feels Windows there)

Good point Dehc, Im sure there are other countries, but you cant beat 20cents per hour to hire 50 programmers in a small slum with computers and DSL ?!

Hey, I would love to be hired in arg, i think the fringe benfits outweigh the low wages

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Yup got attacked by Tj/Downloader.An.Thought it was Spysweeper,and as it turns out it wasn't.I was ready to format which I haven't had to do on this computer yet.Don't know where it came from,but everytime I used Cute FTP downloading something,Sygate would sound an attack from 180 solutions and panda quarantined the virus.I just now updated Panda after 7 days and it tells me that with the update I can now clean and restore the infected files.Meanwhile who knows what files I shouldn't have deleted from the registry.Jeesh I was chasing this thing for days,really annoying!
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.