Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sayounara Sygate

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Sayounara Sygate

I just had to dump sygate. It was giving me the same troubles that Conan experienced.. won't let me get on a website without allow all... I have since installed Outpost. But the options are endless and it is a tad different. But I like the info that it gives. Much more detailed than Sygate.

Sygate has worked great for so long. I wonder why it just now starts becoming crappy?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    maybe its just the admins because I've found that all the problems I have been user-related.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Works fine for me.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well your the head honcho so that doesnt count.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I'm using Zone Alarm Pro on both of my PC's now. I wanted to keep Sygate on the other machine using the older "bug-free" version but it keeps on saying "new version is out, do you want to upgrade?" everytime, so no more Sygate in Conan's house.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Haven't had any problems with Sygate so far,but if I do it's either Outpost or Zone Alarm.Anyone know how Norton Firewall that comes with it's internet security suite 2003 works?Just got a copy with a mobo I'm installing.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    my sygate no worky for a few monthy....

me using only xp firewall and no sp1 or updates

me very brave.......

will try outpost
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Outpost barely makes a hiccup on my PC. It uses less than 3MB of ram, and almost no CPU.
    Sygate's SMC.exe would sometimes drain my PC of juice and then eat the peel.

I am happy with outpost. It does its job and gives a lot more information than sygate. Like for example it shows what specific IP addresses each browser window/tab connects to, as well as ports, protocols, and duration of connection. I like that. Also, the popups for attempted attacks are much better than the flashing red Sygate icon. They popup, and then go back down immediately. I hate how Sygates icon would stay flashing red until you clicked on it.. then it would go back to green.

Out post is being installed on all my machines this weekend.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Boogs,Sygate has served you well for a couple of years,surely it wasn't all that bad??

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Of course not. Sygate worked great until recently. It was simple, easy to use, and it did a fine job. In fact, I was displeased with Zone Alarm, that is why I made the switch at the behest of a certain somebody . It has only happened recently that I had this problem and with Conan and egghead having it too.. I'm wondering if this is not some kind of bug in the program?

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    hmmm...

Works like a charm for me...guess I better pay more attention. Only problem I had was that I uninstalled it from a friends pc and the dang thing didnt fully install. Only about 6hrs of internet headache because of it but not too bad.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I repeat...NIS 2004 works like a charm. Though I really like Outpost too!!!

How does the Norton NIS compare to NOD or Sygate SS? I have used NIS before but wasn't too keen on something.. but I have forgotten what it was that bothered me.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    How does the Norton NIS compare to NOD or Sygate SS? I have used NIS before but wasn't too keen on something.. but I have forgotten what it was that bothered me.
    There were times when its add-blocking component would cause 100% CPU usage. I used to be a user since NIS 2001 up to 2002. This glitch started happening during the Peppy's Forum days.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    To be honest I haven't had a problem with it yet. It blocks all the bad stuff and doesn't seem to muck things up like ZoneAlarm used to.

I cant comment on how it compares with Sygate as I haven't had a need switch. I tried Sygate once but it seemed a bit cumbersome. This was a while ago so perhaps it seemed a little daunting due to my inexperience...

Anyway if I have anything bad to say about NIS, it's that when logging in, it takes ages to load and my PC (Athlon XP 1800 + 768MB RAM) doesn't really become functional before then