Thread: Setting up an FTP in the dark :-S

Setting up an FTP in the dark :-S

We've just upgraded to ADSL and connecting to the INET is a peice of p*** however, I'm wanting to setup an FTP and am finding it quite a challenge as the router is not connected to my machine and the Admin(Parent) won't tell me much more then the fact I'm able to use a certain port number (not too sure they know what they're doing). Anyway, i'm sure someone must some experiance in this area... Pleeeaase help?!
    Live long and prosper!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What kind of router is it? Setting up an FTP is relatively simple. What FTP server software are you using? What OS?

With the port information that the (admin) parent gave you, you just use that port in the FTP server configuration. Then when users want to connect they just use that port with their client.

As far as the IP is concerned, if you are connecting via a router, you might need to map the ports in the router config and get a Dynamic DNS addy, that will make your number based IP and named address:

111.111.111.111 becomes coffee.no-ip.org

Or something like that.

Alternatively you can use a simple http web server like I use from time to time.

http://www.softpile.com/Internet/Ser...695_index.html

that is the one I recommend.
    It runs over port 80 and is compatible with nearly every firewall/router config that I know of.

Thanks for the reply BigBooger.
    Well, the router is a wireless NetGear one the FTP server software was just Serv-U and the OS is XP @ the moment although will be upgraded to 2003 soon. I'll try out what you've suggested, and certainly have a look at 'Small HTTP Server', sounds pretty good
    Live long and prosper!