Thread: Why the slowdown when I call up my Eudora program while printing?

Why the slowdown when I call up my Eudora program while printing?

If I type 2.25 pages, say in Word, and tell it to print, it gets sent to the printer and prints.

But if, while it's printing, I call up Eudora from the desktop shortcut it takes the entire time that the printing requires for Eudora to appear, flash all its various In, Out etc. screens and check to see if I have new mail.

I mean how big a file can 2 + 1/8 Word pages be with size 12 font? With one click it is stored in a file or folder to be sent to the printer—I know because once I’ve clicked on “Print” I can close Word and the stuff prints: no problem. Is the CPU busy sending the file to the printer bit by bit? Why does it appear to slow Eudora down so much? Eudora (if my computer has been running) normally takes a (timed) 5 seconds to appear and be ready to use. Is it that the CPU is constantly busy in such an instance? I would not have thought so. BTW it took exactly 59 seconds (I timed it) to print the 2.125 pages

My CPU is 1.7 ghz: that's not like 500 mg!
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    How is your printer connected to the PC? USB or parallel port? Normally if it's parallel port this results in 100% CPU usage while printing. Using USB doesn't have the same effect on my PC.

The printer I used in this instance was a parallel connection. Interesting the difference. I'll try the same thing on my other printer which is USB 1.1 Thanks.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html