March 12th, 2004, 19:39 PM
Audigy and Klipsch ProMedia question
Here's my question.
I have a Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer powering a set of Klipsch ProMedia GMX 5.1. The speakers are connected to the sound card via the S/PDIF analog digital out. Better sound quality than regular analog output, but not as good as optical digital out would be. The Klipsch module has a built-in Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder, as well as Pro Logic II. What I want to know is what should I have my sound card output? Should I enable EAX in games, or will it only interfere with what my speakers decode themselves? Should I turn on the Pro Logic II on the module, or is there a setting I should go for so that only the decoded sound from the sound card will go through? Which of the decoding options is better?
Thanks in advance for the help.
March 12th, 2004, 20:15 PM
I have the Audigy2 Platinum eX (Website): Top Sound Card from Creative (Review)and Cambridge 5.1 DD speakers.
(Shamless plug..hehe )
These are the basic features of the sound card:
- 24bit/192kHz audio playback;
- 24bit/96kHz audio playback and recording;
- Full DVD-Audio support;
- Full ASIO 2.0 support;
- Seven-channel audio (6.1) with Dolby Digital EX decoding;
- Six analog outputs;
- Three stereo Line In connectors for 6 channel realtime input recording (EX model only);
- THX certificate;
- New sound up-mixing algorithms, CMSS 3D;
- Improved signal/noise ratio (SNR): 106dB.
I use the spdif output only while watching Dolby Digital movies.
my speakere decodes this.
When i am playing a game I set the speakers in pass through mode so all chanels are controlled by the soundcard and no crosstalk is occuring
when playing games you want the EAX enabled for advanced 3d sound modeling. If you use any feature on your speakers you will get crosstalk and this will muffle and phase the sound and kill the effect from the sound card sourround sound field.
March 13th, 2004, 03:12 AM
1) When you say crosstalk, what do you mean exactly? I'm guessing you mean that the speakers aren't decoding anything the sound card is. Correct?
2) Would 5 channel stereo be considered something like pass thru mode? I'm not sure what would be considered something like "pass-thru" on my Kilpsch's. If anyone could help me out on this, I'd be grateful.