Thread: My email program, Eudora btw, is giving me problems.

Angry My email program, Eudora btw, is giving me problems.

My Eudora V. 5.2 somehow has 2 paths to the attach file, but appears to use only one. However, it used to use the other.

It also has given me much trouble sending and receiving pictures---they are blank frames with a red x or blacked out. When I forwarded some embedded pics the other day, all the recipients saw were big black frames, but if I (as I did later) pasted the picures into a new email, the recipients were able to view them. (1 exceptions: 1 recipient only got 4 of the 6 pics--2 were blacked out.)

I completely uninstalled my 5.2 version, checked the registry for left-over "Qualcomm" and "Eudora" entries (there were none). Suspecting Eudora file corruption, I now installed the 6.0 free Version. There were still 2 paths for the attach file and I have not yet had time to determine how this version is dealing with images. It's fine with text emails. Also in this new ad-supported version, the file Eudora has always used to store addresses (NNdbase.txt) is missing and search does not find it...even though the address book is working peerfectly.

Since the reinstall of a completely new version (with my original version completely removed to all indications), my question is: is my only solution at this point, to wipe out my HD and start from scratch again. I mean does the fact that this new version of Eudora is not quite what is should be mean an XP system file is corrupt? And if a system file is not corrupt, what can I do?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    If everything except for the Eudora is working fine then I wouldn't consider reinstalling the OS. To some people reinstalling is not that big a deal...some peeps do it regularly. From a support standpoint I would consider it a last resort. Typically issues with other software can be fixed or corrected thru patching or reinstalling those apps only. As always it could be some type of conflict between those apps and any other on the system so being specific is difficult. You could always try a compatibility mode...

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    If everything except for the Eudora is working fine then I wouldn't consider reinstalling the OS. To some people reinstalling is not that big a deal...some peeps do it regularly. From a support standpoint I would consider it a last resort. Typically issues with other software can be fixed or corrected thru patching or reinstalling those apps only. As always it could be some type of conflict between those apps and any other on the system so being specific is difficult. You could always try a compatibility mode...
    Well, Eudora is not the only problem.

My earlier Eudora V (5.2) had problems with viewing and sending attachments yesterday.

in ICQ I cannot disable the foghorn sound on boot. Button is grayed out.
    ICQ also has a little rectangular window listing contacts. On boot the thin border around this window puts a copy of itself in the upper left corner of my monitor.

There used to be an "Application Data" folder in my old 5.2 V. of Eudora. But it disappeared. Nor does the brand new free V. have one.

My old Eudora V. had two paths to the attach file. The one that used to work doesn't. Installing the brand new (for me) free version of Eudora did not correct this problem.

There is no announcing chime for new email in my free V. of Eudora
    Internet site icons I have on my desktop change to the big blue MS IE icon almost every time I close an app. They go back to normal on reboot.

So would you wipe the HD drive out at this point and start from scratch? It seems to me to be the only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Well, Eudora is not the only problem.

My earlier Eudora V (5.2) had problems with viewing and sending attachments yesterday.

in ICQ I cannot disable the foghorn sound on boot. Button is grayed out.
    ICQ also has a little rectangular window listing contacts. On boot the thin border around this window puts a copy of itself in the upper left corner of my monitor.

There used to be an "Application Data" folder in my old 5.2 V. of Eudora. But it disappeared. Nor does the brand new free V. have one.

My old Eudora V. had two paths to the attach file. The one that used to work doesn't. Installing the brand new (for me) free version of Eudora did not correct this problem.

There is no announcing chime for new email in my free V. of Eudora
    Internet site icons I have on my desktop change to the big blue MS IE icon almost every time I close an app. They go back to normal on reboot.

So would you wipe the HD drive out at this point and start from scratch? It seems to me to be the only choice.
    You could also take a look at a related question I just sent--to the XP forum--"My XP CD did not provide for a Repair function" or approximately that title.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    If you can burn a CD with all your important stuff like files, favorites list and so on, I would go ahead and reformat and reinstall Windows, not just Repair because all your other Programs that have glitches in my view will still have glitches after a Repair.