Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My standby icon in XP is grayed out

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Since all the foregoing correspondence, the situation has changed. I have a new motherboard. Previously to get the standby button working, Conan and Cash_site said "download latest chipset drivers." Supastar said "download graphics drivers". Well, then the chipset drivers (after an HD format) did the trick.

Now with the standby button not working with the new mobo (installed after a format), I have these options:

From the CD that came with the new mobo I have access to a SiS (Silicon integrated systems) VGA driver for 2000/XP. I also can choose a SiS AGP driver (it does not list any OS). The AGP driver is also available for the mobo site, so if that is what I need I will get it from there.

But given my choices, do I use the VGA driver or the AGP driver? (Nothing is said about chipset drivers.) Or if one doesn't work, shall I just try the other?
    I've only ever had to install graphics drivers to get my Standby working. Conan's advice is correct, you extracted the files to a hidden folder.

In future, when it prompts you for a location to unzip your files, try a location that you can easily remember (such as c:\vgadrivers for example).

Well, Conan, followed your instructions, found the folder (the SiS Acceleration Graphic Port 1.11 from the mfg.), installed it, rebooted...but it did not correct the problem. Thestandby icon is still faint and doesn't work. What options are now left?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Supastar. It gets confusing at times: the difference between chipset drivers, VGA drivers. graphics drivers, AGP drivers. They all seem concerned with viewing the monitor screen. But I never seem to find clear precise definitions of each of these. Perhaps the distinctions are not clear...but you can see the difficulty!! Sometimes I feel much of the computer world is imprecise, shall I say. I guess it's too many programmers, multiple OSs, too many programs, each doing the same thing a bit differently, too many causes of whatever error