Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My standby icon in XP is grayed out

My standby icon in XP is grayed out

This happened immediately after I wiped my HD clean and reinstalled XP.

What can I do about this? The Turn Off and Restart icons are fine and work. When I click the standby icon nothing happens.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    You may need to upgrade your graphics drivers. If you know the brand/model of graphics card, jump on to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I think it's the Chipset Driver that you need to install first. Are you using an Intel or AMD? Normally your motherboard manufaturer has it as a download in their web site.

Conan:

This is new to me.

I found the chipset driver...downloaded it. It's sitting in Program Files at the moment. I clicked 'Open' and it brings up a dialog box called 'WinRar self-extracting archives' and currently it wants to install to C:\Program Files. It also says "Press install button to start extraction."

I'd guess it doesn't really matter where I put it; it will be found when needed. Correct? If not, where should I put it?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Conan:

This is new to me.

I found the chipset driver...downloaded it. It's sitting in Program Files at the moment. I clicked 'Open' and it brings up a dialog box called 'WinRar self-extracting archives' and currently it wants to install to C:\Program Files. It also says "Press install button to start extraction."

I'd guess it doesn't really matter where I put it; it will be found when needed. Correct? If not, where should I put it?
    And could you tell me what a chipset is or what it is doing in this instance. The driver was described as an 'acceleration Graphic Port Driver.'

And could you tell me what a chipset is or what it is doing in this instance. The driver was described as an 'acceleration Graphic Port Driver.'
    "A number of integrated circuits designed to perform one or more related functions. For example, one chipset may provide the basic functions of a modem while another provides the CPU functions for a computer. Newer chipsets generally include functions provided by two or more older chipsets. In some cases, older chipsets that required two or more physical chips can be replaced with a chipset on one chip.
    The term is often used to refer to the core functionality of a motherboard."

Basically you need these drivers to correctly identify your motherboard chipset for Windows to make use of its functions like power related functions, going into standby, etc.

Thanks a lot, Conan. I downloaded the driver, clicked the Install button and before I had time to think, the Standby button was back to normal.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    This standby icon is when you click shutdown?? Also, if you press Shift it turns into Hibernate Icon. However, these are only enabled if you have enabled APM (some old motherboards dont use it) and also enabled XP to enter standy mode or Hibernate mode.

Usually after a clean install of XP, you need to run the Motherboard Chipset driver CD, which loads all appropiate drivers for AGP, PCI, USB etc etc This tells XP of any powersaving features the MB may have.

By the sounds of it, you may have missed this last step - actually I missed it last nite on new install lol - but once you installed the drivers all is good

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Yeah, I missed the last step...never even knew of it. Thanks for the tip. I passsed it along to my son and will stash it away for myself because if a year or more passes, I may not remember it. But I hope it never happens. I'll be faster next time, but it's a slow time-consuming job and I've many programs, many site shortcuts, printers, scanners, card readers. I got quite tired of it and it took 2 days. Of course the upside is the considerable money saved

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    By the sounds of it, you may have missed this last step - actually I missed it last nite on new install lol - but once you installed the drivers all is good
    Actually this should be the very 1st step after a reformat.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Actually this should be the very 1st step after a reformat.
    Absolutely Correct, it's worse on my main comp with a VIA North/South bridge, without the chipset drivers i cant do any file transfer without getting corrupted files - VIA+Creative+ATI+AMD - didnt mix well in the early days.

But it is important to write the steps down when doing a reformat install, sort of like a checklist. Makes it easy to remember what to install next and in what order

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Since all the foregoing correspondence, the situation has changed. I have a new motherboard. Previously to get the standby button working, Conan and Cash_site said "download latest chipset drivers." Supastar said "download graphics drivers". Well, then the chipset drivers (after an HD format) did the trick.

Now with the standby button not working with the new mobo (installed after a format), I have these options:

From the CD that came with the new mobo I have access to a SiS (Silicon integrated systems) VGA driver for 2000/XP. I also can choose a SiS AGP driver (it does not list any OS). The AGP driver is also available for the mobo site, so if that is what I need I will get it from there.

But given my choices, do I use the VGA driver or the AGP driver? (Nothing is said about chipset drivers.) Or if one doesn't work, shall I just try the other?

Try the AGP driver first.

I've tried twice to use the AGP driver from the CD that came with the mobo. It made no difference re the faded standby button even after required reboot. So I then went to the aopen.com site, found the driver there; it was one of those exe files with the unzip feature built in. It said "Unzip to C:\Docume ~1\John\LOCALS~1\Temp". I told it OK. It unzipped 72 files successfully but I cannot find them; I cannot find a folder called LOCALS and nothing called LOCALS ~1 and a search for "Temp" found nothing I could associate with AGP drivers/my motherboard. Anyway, the icon is still faded and non-working.

Any comments/suggestions at this point?

Oh, by the way, it was on the CD container that it said VGA drivers were included, but it did NOT list such when I looked at the contents as the CD itself listed them. Nor did the site list any VGA drivers for this mobo.

I've tried twice to use the AGP driver from the CD that came with the mobo. It made no difference re the faded standby button even after required reboot. So I then went to the aopen.com site, found the driver there; it was one of those exe files with the unzip feature built in. It said "Unzip to C:\Docume ~1\John\LOCALS~1\Temp". I told it OK. It unzipped 72 files successfully but I cannot find them; I cannot find a folder called LOCALS and nothing called LOCALS ~1 and a search for "Temp" found nothing I could associate with AGP drivers/my motherboard. Anyway, the icon is still faded and non-working.

Any comments/suggestions at this point?

Oh, by the way, it was on the CD container that it said VGA drivers were included, but it did NOT list such when I looked at the contents as the CD itself listed them. Nor did the site list any VGA drivers for this mobo.
    Go to Windows Explorer, click on Tools, Folder Options, View, then click on "Show hidden files and folders", then OK. Now in Windows Explorer expand the following folders, C:, Documents and settings, John, Local Settings, Temp. It should be there in the Temp folder.