Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Built My Own Video Card Cooler

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

I Built My Own Video Card Cooler

My ATI 9800 Pro runs pretty hot, and I saw this nice looking Video Card Cooler made by Vantec:

With the speed at which computer components now run, there is a tremendous amount of heat generated inside a PC. *While case fans help cool the system, they generally only provide horizontal airflow. *With that in mind, Vantec introduces the Spectrum Fan Card. *Utilizing any available PCI slot, the Spectrum Fan Card serves a dual purpose of directly cooling any PCI/AGP cards surrounding it as well as providing better air circulation with two adjustable fans. *Made from UV sensitive material and featuring built-in UV LED lights, the Vantec Spectrum Fan Card lights up your case while cooling it down.

I looked around the stores here and they don't sell it yet, so I built my own using old stuff lying around. I put 2 neon fans together by using wire ties, used an old PCI slot adaptor from an old slot fan (sucks air instead of blowing) and used a steel corner brace with 3 small bolts to attach the slot to 1 fan. So how does it look?

The card's heat sink isn't too hot to the touch anymore.

Last edited by Conan; March 16th, 2004 at 10:26 AM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Nice work Conan...you really are a bloody guru!!

Has it reduced you internal temps or is it just to increase the longetivity of your card?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Nice work Conan...you really are a bloody guru!!

Has it reduced you internal temps or is it just to increase the longetivity of your card?
    Thanks Supa! My thermal sensor is on the CPU heatsink, the readings are the same or maybe .4 degrees Celcius cooler. Wish the card had a temp sensor like the 9800 XT's do.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Kickass Conan!

Nice work! You modding stud muffin

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Actually the whole rig is looking kinda sweet. It really puts mine to shame...

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Looking Good Conan, nice lights.

Which direction are the fans going? is it blowing air onto the card or sucking heat away from card? You should open one of the PCI slots to allow the hot air extraction.

So you are powering the Fans via the HD cables, do you have any ideas how to use the PCI slot for power, like the top model??

Cool ideas.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Banned
    thats pretty good keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Looking Good Conan, nice lights.

Which direction are the fans going? is it blowing air onto the card or sucking heat away from card? You should open one of the PCI slots to allow the hot air extraction.

So you are powering the Fans via the HD cables, do you have any ideas how to use the PCI slot for power, like the top model??

Cool ideas.
    The newly installed fans blow air into the card. No problem with source of fresh air as the side of my case has 2 fans that blow into the case:

My case comes with 7 fans stock, so there are no problems with airflow. I've replaced all the fans by the way with Cooler Master LED fans and they are slighty more powerful than the orange stock fans.

The Vantec fan does not draw power from the PCI slot. It has a cable that you attach to the power supply. My Enermax power supply has lots of connectors for fans and periphals.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It is very cool...Looks like we've all been put to shame...

definitely an excellent mod and modder conan is. It would be good to see if it were possible to draw power from PCI, but I guess 3.3v just wont cut it with those big 80 or 120mm LED Fans Soon you will have to run 110/240 volts straight to the fans hehe

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    definitely an excellent mod and modder conan is. It would be good to see if it were possible to draw power from PCI, but I guess 3.3v just wont cut it with those big 80 or 120mm LED Fans Soon you will have to run 110/240 volts straight to the fans hehe
    Thanks!

Titanium Member
    Wow, just opened this tread. Very impressive Conan. Do they make small fans that run on 110v a.c.? My power supply is low watt. It would be nice to tap into the juice at ac input.
    Last edited by lynchknot; March 17th, 2004 at 17:53 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Nice job Conan.That reminds me that I have to get a faster spinning fan for my Zalman Flower to try.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    @ LK. I have a 230v. industrial exhaust fan from a welding shop if you want to try it

it's just a tad loud...

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    @ LK. I have a 230v. industrial exhaust fan from a welding shop if you want to try it

it's just a tad loud...
    LOL, I could use that in my garage

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---