Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Some DDR 500 Yesterday

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Got Some DDR 500 Yesterday

Well while I was surfing some local hardware sites I came across one that was selling Geil Ultra Platinum PC 4000 500MHz Dual Channel DDR Kit . So I checked out the reviews and they were pretty good and the price wasn't bad either, substantially cheaper than its Corsair counterpart. So here I am with 2 x 512 sticks at 220 FSB (a pretty mild overclock) = 3.3 Ghz. The memory is rated to run FSB's of 250 or slightly more. They look great too! Will post pictures later or tomorrow.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    hey fastgame can you see thru all of conans burning rubber.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I'm the memory champ at the moment...

any benchmarks yet?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by egghead

any benchmarks yet?
    What memory are you using egg? You've got a pretty healthy FSB running there. So far I've only run 3DMark 2001SE, got 18,380 @ 3.3 Ghz. I was running memtest86 yesterday making sure there are no errors at overclocked speeds. Some people at the ABXZone forums are runnnin their 3.0 cpu's all the way up to 3.8!

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    What memory are you using egg? You've got a pretty healthy FSB running there. So far I've only run 3DMark 2001SE, got 18,380 @ 3.3 Ghz. I was running memtest86 yesterday making sure there are no errors at overclocked speeds. Some people at the ABXZone forums are runnnin their 3.0 cpu's all the way up to 3.8!
    im using hynix ram with a 2.6ghz cpu overclocked to 3.25 using stock everything

im using hynix ram with a 2.6ghz cpu overclocked to 3.25 using stock everything
    How are your temps, did they increase? No increase yet in mine although I still will try higher overclocks. My Geil modules also use Hynix, they're great for really high overclocks. Are you running the memory by SPD? Do you know your latency values?

i have the same bios as the p4p800 and it is set to turbo

i will reboot and see what settings i have

its all auto

im at 250 clock

default ram

bus is 66/33

and im using turbo mode

im really happy with it
    Last edited by egghead; March 19th, 2004 at 07:07 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    hey fastgame can you see thru all of conans burning rubber.
    Yes, I wear racing goggles
    Hey hows it going "champ"? guess since your memory is good you won't forget who the Graphics Champ is

Nice ram Conan, pump the FSB & burn more rubber
    Last edited by FastGame; March 20th, 2004 at 19:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Hey hows it going "champ"? guess since your memory is good you won't forget who the Graphics Champ is

I just might buy an ati 9800xt to see if i can get higher

i really like my memory benchmaks on this cheap board

i really like my memory benchmaks on this cheap board
    It's not the board that's responsible, it's because your CPU at 2.6 is perfectly synchronized with DDR 400 ram. I'm trying to look for an article about this that I posted before but I can't find it.

I cannot remember how much memory I have

Pics of the memory modules using my phone:

It's not the board that's responsible, it's because your CPU at 2.6 is perfectly synchronized with DDR 400 ram. I'm trying to look for an article about this that I posted before but I can't find it.
    No, you guys are the same 200x4=800fsb. The Intel cpu's are locked, you can only overclock by raising the FSB. When egghead raises his fsb to get his cpu the same mhz as you he's also at a higher fsb than you and thats why his memory score is higher, he's at 250fsb and your at 220fsb. egg's 2.6 should top out at the same mhz as your 3.0 but he will always be at a higher fsb than you providing he has the ram that can do so.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    No, you guys are the same 200x4=800fsb. The Intel cpu's are locked, you can only overclock by raising the FSB. When egghead raises his fsb to get his cpu the same mhz as you he's also at a higher fsb than you and thats why his memory score is higher, he's at 250fsb and your at 220fsb. egg's 2.6 should top out at the same mhz as your 3.0 but he will always be at a higher fsb than you providing he has the ram that can do so.
    I read somewhere in the past that 2.4's and 2.6's will easily overclock to 250 FSB while 3.0's and 3.2's won't reach as high FSB numbers. I run into memory errors at 240 FSB. I tried raising ram voltage to 2.85 to no avail. I haven't tried raising CPU voltage though. The CPU also isn't too stable when going upward of 232 FSB, I get reboots while benchmarking.

I read somewhere in the past that 2.4's and 2.6's will easily overclock to 250 FSB while 3.0's and 3.2's won't reach as high
    Thats because the 2.4/2.6 have a lower multiplier than the 3.0/3.2 The CPU's run synchronized 1:1 with the fsb. A lower multiplier will give less CPU MHZ at a fixed fsb but if you run all the CPU's at a fixed MHZ then the ones with the lower mulitplier will be at a higher 1:1 fsb.

A 2.4 has a 12 multiplier for a 1:1 sync @200fsb, 12x250fsb=3000mhz, that seems like a pretty reasonable figure as long as the PCI & AGP busses are designed (locked/adjustible) in some way to operate at 250fsb.

A 3.0 has a 15 mulitiplier for a 1:1 sync @200fsb, 15x250fsb=3750mhz! that seems like it would be hard to do without some serious voltage & cooling.

Anyway Overclocking involves many things other than the multi/fsb, you have the PCI/AGP busses, voltages, memory/fsb divisors and cooling factors to figure in.