Thread: WinINSTALL LE 2003

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

WinINSTALL LE 2003

http://www.ondemandsoftware.com/FREELE2003/

An app that I just heard about for creating your own .msi files.

"The first and only FREE MSI packager written specifically for Microsoft‘s latest operating system, Microsoft Windows Server 2003.

WinINSTALL LE 2003 supports the latest MSI schema and provides the functionality, consistency, and ease of use that have made it a favorite with administrators for over a decade. If it were not for our continued commitment to the principle that you should never have to pay for a “Standard Edition” MSI packager, the release of Windows Server 2003 would, for the first time, force administrators to purchase a third-party re-packager. Fortunately, both new users and those who have relied on WinINSTALL LE in the past can now download WinINSTALL LE 2003 for their NO-COST solution to creating and editing MSI packages. For those with more complex requirements, OnDemand also provides a complete software packaging and distribution solution, as well as a professional MSI packager edition."

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    ahh... thats handy, I like MSI installers better than Cab setup packagers from Visual Studio. Actually quite handy, since we are starting to develop win2k3 apps

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Kinda cool for installing apps thru policy huh?

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Kinda cool for installing apps thru policy huh?
    Yes sir, thats how we keep Outlook Public folders and Antivirus uptodate and installed on new systems. Also, good when the app developers switch comps their environment moves with them

When are you finishing your exams?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well, I finished the classes last week and now just have to work up the courage and find the money to actually test. My company will reimburse the cost as long as I pass...I'm still studying cause I can't afford the price of failing one!!

Boogs was nice enough to find some additional tests for me to use and I'm going thru the Exam Cram series of books right now in preparation. You gonna offer me a job down yonder?

Err well actually we do have a position that will be opening up soon. We need a generalist person who can do win2k3 and sbs2k3 admin work, but also .NET development. Fit the bill??

Its all fun and games.

Back on Track, have you tried this app out? Does it give you the features and settings to install to add/remove apps, desktop etc ??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I haven't personally but the course instructor did use it in class to show how to push a few apps thru policy. He created his own .msi files and they worked great in conjunction with pushing apps tied to a user acct.