Thread: DSL speedtest

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

DSL speedtest

I used the speedtest from DSLREPORTS.COM and came up with this result:

2004-03-20 12:46:36 EST: 900 / 135
    Your download speed : 900788 bps, or 900 kbps.
    A 109.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 135823 bps, or 135 kbps

I assume from what I read that this is fairly good when compared to typical DSL speeds. Does that sound correct?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    yeah rik thats a good speed I'm about 2blocks for our NOC and I get 1.3down and 200up.

Just ran a speedtest at Omnicity. Couldn't believe my eyes.

http://www.cox-internet.com/lickingf.../speedtest.jpg

Last edited by efc; March 22nd, 2004 at 04:29 AM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    ::: Download Stats :::
    Connection is: 2391 Kbps about 2.4 Mbps (tested with 748 KB)
    Download Speed is: 292 KB/sec
    Auth Code: 2035866 (validate at http://www.testmy.net)
    Bottom Line: 43 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 3.51 second(s)
    Validation Link :: http://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check...45.14285714286

Each testing site gives different results.Satellite results are lower than dsl and cable tests.They are just ping tests aren't they?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    Each testing site gives different results.Satellite results are lower than dsl and cable tests.They are just ping tests aren't they?
    These sites, depending on the safistication of the site, can test a number of things. Usually it is throughput. A file of a known size is loaded to your machine and timed. If the site is also testing UP speeds, the file will be sent back to the test site and timed. Most of the sites test down speed only, like Omnicity, which I posted above. A smaller percentage will test both up and down speeds. There may also be a test of ping times, sometimes referred to as latency.

You are right to say that all of them give different results. That means that the results you get are relative to the test site that you are using. Use the same site all of the time gives you a basis to determine if the net is running fast or slow. That is helpful when your system is loading pages slowly and you are trying to figure out why. That was the reason for yesterday's post. The 6641 kbps test results was the fastest that I had ever recorded. The net was flying at that moment.

My experience with satellite is different from yours. I find that down speeds are good to great with satellite. My usual down speed is 1500 kbps. Up speeds are not. The fastest up speed that I have gotten is 220 kbps. Usually it is closer to 128 kbps. Latency is slow, usually in the 800 ms range. No online gaming with satellite.

If you are not getting these speeds, PM me so that we can discuss some tweaks that have helped me.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Let's make a list of speed test tools with comment
    Omnicity Only checks for Download Throughput
    Testmy.net Has speed test tool for both Download and Upload speeds in separate test. The Upload test didn't work on my machine thought.

DSL Reports (Broadband Reports.com) I normally use this site. Requires Java.
    Bandwith Place Up to 3 free Personal test a month
    ADSLGuide.org.uk It didn't work for me.
    McAfee Speedometer Download throughput

We could also make a list of result on these pages.