Thread: Rename Hard Drive

Rename Hard Drive

Hi All;
    I just purchased a Western Digital 160GB hard drive to add to my computer. I have a Western Digital 80 Gig already installed.
    I made the 80 GB the slave & the 160 the master. When I boot up it shows the 80 GB as my C Drive and the 160 as my D Drive.
    I would like to boot to/from the 160GB and have it as my C Drive. Could someone please tell me how I might go about doing this?
    Thank You

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to TZ

Even though you changed the jumper settings on the HDs, because windows is installed originally on the 80gb drive, that will always be C: drive. since it is the booting HD.

Your best bet would be to install or ghost/image your windows OS and applications on to the 160gb Drive, then clear the 80 gb drive. Then you will have 160 = C and 80 = D drive.

cheers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks Cash_Site; I did a Norton Clone from my 80 to my 160 when I installed yesterday. I have XP on both drives. Any further instructions? Thanks

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmurray
    Thanks Cash_Site; I did a Norton Clone from my 80 to my 160 when I installed yesterday. I have XP on both drives. Any further instructions? Thanks
    This is the same set-up that I have with Maxtor drives. Format the 80 gig drive so it will have no more OS.

Thanks Conan -- I'll work on it tonight.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    You can do what ever you want with the 80gb now, format, donate to TZ or build another system Endless options, i like #2 though

Glad it worked easily for you.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---