Thread: Deleting software on slave HD

Deleting software on slave HD

1st, I have two harddrives, and want to delete software from the old (slave) one. My OS (XP HE) is on the new one, and of course that is the only drive that shows up in Add/remove Programs. How can I remove programs from the slave?

2nd, my new HD is 7200 RPM, and the old one 5400. If I run games from the new one, will the old HD slow it down in any way?

Thanks for any help or sugggestions.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi hopper33 and welcome to TZ

I take it that you want the old HD cleaned of all software..right ? and other data ? if so then right click on the drive and choose *Format* If you have data on the old HD you want to save then move it to the new HD and then Format the old HD. If you have software on the old HD that doesn't show up in the Add & Remove I think its because its not written to the registry of your new OS on new HD.

You can also go into the software folder on the old HD and see if there's an uninstaller and try that. I would just wipe the drive clean and start over.

The only time the slower HD will affect your new faster HD is when you transfer files between the two or access each other, the files will transfer at the ATA Rating/Access/Write times of the slower drive.

[edit]= BTW if your new HD is formatted in FAT32 make sure you do the same on old HD or you wont see the old HD if its NTFS
    Last edited by FastGame; March 23rd, 2004 at 00:12 AM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez Hopper33. Like Fastgame said if you just want to clean off the 2nd hdd and use it for storage it will probably need to be formatted to be used and possibly before XP will see it correctly. I have also experienced this in a way. The drive wouldn't show in the My Computer window but it was seen in the Computer Management console. This can be accessed by right clicking on the My Computer icon and left clicking on Manage, click the plus beside Storage, then you should see the drive. From there you can format the drive as needed. If the drive isn't shown there then you may have jumpers on the drive that need to be changed.
    Hope this helps...

Thanks for the help FastGame and Rik!