Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, I'm looping!!!!!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Sharon you should be able to boot to the XP cd and do something from there...Is that not possible?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You need to pull that HD out and hook it up as slave on your computer. After you do so then go to MyComputer>right click on the bad HD>choose properties>Tools>Error checking>make sure you check both boxes *fix errors & recover bad sectors*

After you checkdisk the HD see if it'll boot, if not then try booting from the XP CD and do a repair. If that doesn't work then get a new HD.

I've had a couple of HD's that you would think were toast, after running Checkdisk a few times on them they worked. These were blank HD's that wouldn't format because of the bad sectors.

Good luck

Rik, any option tried from the cd goes to stop error, safe mode, command prompt, repair, new installation last know good, I've tried every option to my disposal. I'm thinking its impossible at this point. Hmmm, Fastgame, ya have a point and I didn't think of that and I will commence doing that right now! Will keep you posted. Be Back Soon!

Thanks a million!
    Sharon

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    If the partitions are shot to a point that it errors even when working from the cd, that is strange. and unfortunately you may not be able to recover from that. Once you have tried FastGames suggestions, and if it still does not work, I am including 2 links to instructions on how to run debug scripts to wipe out the partition information. The instructions are specifically for Win98 on a FAT partition but I would think that it would work on XP as well. I'm just not sure that the scripts will wipe the NTFS partitions or not as I have not had to o this far to get one working...yet

The first link is to a decription page from FDisk.com and gives a decription of what to do and how to run it etc. The 2nd link is straight to the script to be run. IF you have to go this far just follow the directions exactly and all should be fine.
    First page

Script Only

*Debug Scripts compliments of www.fdisk.com*