Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, I'm looping!!!!!

Help, I'm looping!!!!!

Hi Guys,

You are all my saviors with XP, cuz I don't know much!

Customer brought his computer over, it keeps restarting.
    Put disk in to fix registry, it will not do it, says something about further damaging the disk or something. ASR won't go any further.... Can't run check disk and other things it suggests because I can't get in safe mode or a command prompt.

Is there a boot disk I can download? What the heck do I do here........I NEVER want to reformat unless all options are exhausted.

Any ideas on what I should do?

As always thanks in advance!

Sharon

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    hey sharon does it keep restarting on the net...could be that virus. have you did a virus scan. now think of xp like win2k. almost the same deal but with a face lift. did you try doing a system scan. go to start>>>RUN>>>and type SFC /SCANNOW. then to get to a command prompt its start>>>RUN and CMD. WHY cant you boot to safe mode or a cmd prompt. and when did the problem start happening?...new software, hardware.When did it last work fine?

Hey Phish,

Well, it boots as far as seeing the windows screen, then restarts. I can't get to safe mode without it restarting, if I choose command prompt, it restarts....no matter what I try it keeps restarting.......I put the disk in to see if it would fix the registry.......ASR gets so far, asks for a disk which I don't have.

I have no clue what to do.....without being able to get a command prompt or safe mode, I'm SOL. Is there a boot disk, I know it doesn't come with one, can I download one?

This is a customers computer, he filled out the sheet to say that he's changed nothing other than renewing online and purchasing Norton's Anti Virus 2004 and installing it. He said it ran fine for days after that then this looping thing started.

Sharon

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Reinstall over the current installation. No files will be lost, only installed programs (just reinstall them)...

That would be my only suggestion other than reformatting, if you cannot get into the machine to run a fix, or you cannot repair the installation using the ASR.

Does it give any kind of error message when it reboots? How about in safemode? Where does it hang or stop at.. as when you boot in safe mode it generally shows the DLLs and other files it loads into memory...

Check the RAM? Could be a bad stick causing the reboot? Could be a PSU problem?

Have you tried booting to the last known good configuration?
    Last edited by Big Booger; March 24th, 2004 at 02:41 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi Sharon

Check this out http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9263

Download the ISO boot zip and burn it to CD, set first boot device in bios to CD-Rom and test the memory.

Can you give more detail on the system specs ?

Titanium Member
    How about letting it blue screen and see what it says. I installed a program that made my pc do the same thing (but kept going to blue screen). I uninstalled it and it was back to normal.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Any updates yet? It could be a loose IDE cable, or like Boogs said a loose or bad RAM stick.
    Sidenote: ASR only works if the recovery disk has been made previously. Can't just boot to the cd and run it. See if you can boot into the bios and just leave it there. If it reboots then it isn't an OS issue. Let us know what happens at that point and if further trouble shooting is needed We'll be here.

Ok here goes...........

When machine starts........black screen offers me safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last know good.....etc. I've tried all of them.

When trying safe mode, it runs until it gets to the Windows/System32/Drivers/MVP.sys
    hangs there for a sec and restarts.

When I try to run the CD to repair it, I get this big long message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defrag or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run chkdsk/f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart.

Technical Info

****stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902f8, 0xf89b8704,0xf89b8404,0xf81c6411)
    ****ntfs.sys - address f81c6411 base at f8158000, datestamp 3b7dc5d0

And there you have it, I don't know what any of that means up there
    Reinstall over top? I haven't tried that option yet.

Bet it will restart..........

Any ideas? I'm gonna go and get that ISO boot zip.

Thanks,
    Sharon

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Can you boot from a Windows XP CD?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Can you boot from a Windows XP CD?
    Yup, that is what needs to happen. Thanks for clarifying where the restart was happening and the stop message.
    MS indicates that it is a problem with the partition and that needs to be repaired. Here is the link to the MS support article that leads you thru how to fix it.
    Please let us know how you are doing.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Yep those stop errors come in handy

Good job rik

Good luck Sharon

Well if all else fails I would try just booting from the xp cd and using the repair option. If this doesn't work then the next step would be to reinstall. I know its a customers pc and reinstalling would suck, but sometimes its the only option... Keep us updated!

One other option would be to boot into recovery console and copy the ntfs.sys file from a working installation and replace the file on the corrupt system... this may allow you to boot and run other utilities to see if there are more files that need replacing of repair...

I was researchine some more and there seem to be two things that corrupt the ntfs.sys file, bad memory and/or a bad harddrive...
    Last edited by EcPercy; March 25th, 2004 at 02:06 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    The above suggestions are excellent. Just to clarify what I meant when I said and install over the current installation.

Run the XP CD from the boot. Choose to install a new installation, but when it asks if you want to format, leave the current drive intact. That will overwrite the C:/windows folder but will leave everything else..

Then salvage what files you want to save. Then I'd recommend a reformat.

Everyone seems to have good advice, I would try reseating all the cards & the memory chips (alhough I would expect an error beep for faulty chips) & checking the cables first, but I doubt it is this my guess is that either your hard disk is FUBAR'd or Windows is (although I find the re-booting puzzling )have you got SMART switched on? or is it not supported. Personally I would stick another hard drive in load up windows & set the old drive up as a slave get the info off of it then re-format it & start again. Keep us posted

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your great suggestions!

Here's an update.........

I've tried everything, still keep getting the stop error no matter what I do.

Is this hard drive toast? I can't even reformat the thing!!!!!

No way to get into this drive at all..... any ideas before I call customer and make him cry?

Thanks,
    Sharon