Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got some new hardware

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Got some new hardware

Well I went to the PC shop and decided it was time to upgrade. I have been having lagging problems in a few games, I've noticed when I run a few apps at the same time my PC performance goes down the sh1tter.. so here's what I got:

Asus P4P800 Motherboard (not the deluxe)
    Pentium 4 2.8ghz, 800FSB
    1GB PC3200 DDR 400 (dual channel)
    120 GB Sata HDD Maxtor 8MB cache...
    Asus ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB (was wanting to the 9800pro but just didn't see paying more.. maybe I'll get a better GPU later...)
    A Coolermaster Centrion Case
    and a 400Watt ultra quiet PSU.

It's not the best hardware but it will do for me for 1-2 years.. I think. My P4 1.6 has lasted me just over 2 years now and it will be retired to the wife. That or I might make it a file server of some sort.

Next up is a DVD drive (I am waiting for the 16X DVD+RW drives).

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    With a rig like that,you will probably notice the performance increase right off the bat.Maybe your old vid card was dying for your system to lag like that.Anyway sounds like a nice upgrade BB.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Finally! I think you'll be pretty happy with that set-up for quite a while! What model Centurion case did you get (there are 4 types)? What brand of RAM did you get? Did you have any difficulty setting it up? Set your memory at 2.65 volts and memory timings by SPD. I would run memtest86+ just to be sure, and I've also noticed setting AGP voltage at 1.6 gives slightly better benchmark scores. As FastGame says, why didn't you go with AMD?

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9263
    Last edited by Conan; March 24th, 2004 at 14:57 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I think you will be very pleased BB...

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    As FastGame says, why didn't you go with AMD?
    HaHaHa, you trying ta start trouble ? Hmmm he could of got a 9800pro if he went AMD

Nice rig BB

The ram is Buffalo or Samsung I believe, and the model case I'll have to get back to you on. It is silver, has front panel audio, USB and Firewire (but the motherboard doesn't have the front panel Firewire port.. so I am SOL with front panel firewire).

I installed all the components last night. And started to install XP, but my disk was scratched so I am waiting on another copy. If I didn't read the manual I would have never known how to access the BIOS.. press and hold DEL key??

The boot screen looks 100X better than the old intel boot screen. Will finish installing the OS and setting it up later on today. The case is nice as it has a 1 screw design and is no tool. The GPU will be fine I think for a while. It will blow the TI4200 out of the water.

And I almost bought an AMD FX-51 instead of the P4. BUt they had two choices of motherboards a gigabyte and an asus and each one was like $250. The motherboard price was what turned me toward Intel.

UPDATE:

Found the case:
    http://www.coolermaster.co.jp/web/pr...ac-t01-uwc.htm

Here's the video card:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=40158

Though I am going to contact the store cause my Half-life 2 coupon is missing...
    Last edited by Big Booger; March 25th, 2004 at 02:57 AM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    If I didn't read the manual I would have never known how to access the BIOS.. press and hold DEL key??
    Just hit the Delete button when you see the BIOS screen. No need to keep it depressed. I wonder what BIOS version you have, the latest ones normally have better stability and performance but you should wait until everything is installed before you toast your motherboard. I'm using the latest BIOS 1016 at home but I never did update the one at the office. Latest downloads for our motherboard here:

http://www.asus.com/support/download...4P800%20Deluxe

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Sounds really good BB. My upgrade nerve is beginning to twitch

I like the idea of a brand spanking new DVD-RW...I hear the prices wont be too far off the current 4X ones.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    time for a benchmark for the benchmark thread...

hint hint

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8900
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    luck dawg - now you're faster than fast.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    time for a benchmark for the benchmark thread...

hint hint

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8900
    My eye's are bad and I can't decipher all those benchies, who's winning so far ?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Great News BB, I see you are getting ready a huge Frag fest on Battlefield Vietnam

Im in the same boat as Supa, dying to Upgrade computer. But will need something to at least catch FG

Goodluck, and dont fry your boards!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

No speeding with this new system. Remember what happened when you got the new car. Tickets are expensive.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    My eye's are bad and I can't decipher all those benchies, who's winning so far ?
    Not me...

I can actually feel a huge difference in the performance of my new PC. I mean it's like the PC is waiting for the applications to load instead of the other way around...

The 1GB DDR with the dual channel support is really a work of art.. I am impressed. The graphics card is also very nice but the 9800 pro or XT would have been by far better. We'll see this summer if a newer model comes out I might throw down for it. Always gotta think ahead. But for now the new DVD+RW 16X burner is what I am eyeballing.