Thread: Having problems with my ADSL Router...

Unhappy Having problems with my ADSL Router...

I'm using a LG IBM labtop (WinXP) with an ADSL Wireless Router for Internet connection. But, I'm having problems with IP adresses, ports, Kazaa, n' just bout everythin'.

Can sum1 help me out? the helps and guides i've previously used dont help much...

First, What kind of router is it?
    Second, What have you configured on it?
    Third, Have you read through the manual a few times?
    Fourth, You will need to forward port 1214 for kazaa to work
    Fifth, for ip addressing. Does your isp provide you with a dynamic ip? If so you will need to set the wan interface on the router to allow dhcp.
    Sixth, A wireless network is sometimes a pain to set up if you have never done it, so please provide us with more info. i.e. router brand/model, how many computers you have, if you are giving your computers static ip address or trying to have the router assign them etc...

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EcPercy
    Fifth, for ip addressing. Does your isp provide you with a dynamic ip? If so you will need to set the wan interface on the router to allow dhcp.
    Sixth, A wireless network is sometimes a pain to set up if you have never done it, so please provide us with more info. i.e. router brand/model, how many computers you have, if you are giving your computers static ip address or trying to have the router assign them etc...
    Great questions, good work.

Now, the important things to check is your WAN setup, you will have to enter all your ISP connection details into the modem. Next step is to setup the Router for LAN side. You can configure DHCP, DNS, Wireless settings here. Most ADSL routers provide a web interface to configure your device. You will have to check your router documentation to find the default IP. If it is different to your current home network, then you will have to change your home network to be able to connect to the router.

Once you have connected the router probably has a quick setup wizard to follow, or you manually have to choose your settings.

I would recommend to enable DHCP, firewall, and wireless. Next there are a couple of things to check for wireless setup. You will need a SSID or session name - this will be used on all your wireless devices to connect to the same network, also Channel Number or Auto, and lastly enable WPA or WEP, at least 64bit. For testing you can disable this, just to verify that all pcs can connect, but definitely enable asap unless you want the rest of the neighborhood to use your ADSL connection

I hope it works out for you. If you answer EcPercy's questions, we can give you more specific instructions. Cheers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by EcPercy
    woah woah! srry for the time not being here...well, I'm glad you peeps are helpin' me out!!

anyways...

First, its a ZyXEL Kit ADSL Wireless Router , Telefonica brand (i live in Spain)

Second, I'm not sure wat u've meant by configured...i just connected them cables and istalled it with the disk that came with it...

Third, yes i have read the manual more than once but its all spanish n' don't 100% understand it....

Fourth, How do you forward a port?!

Fifth, yes ive enabled dchp setting but not sure bout the dynamic ip...

Sixth, I am trying to assign my router the ip adresses so i can connect to them servers! I only use 2 labtops using this WLAN

and some questions, does it matter if my labtops are korean XPs (1 home edition, and pro) and the router configuring installer/program is spanish??? I am getting weird letteres n' all that during installation!! (installer is the disk that came with it)

why am i getting low IDs on Kazaa and Emule IDs???

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon6777
    why am i getting low IDs on Kazaa and Emule IDs???
    Low ID's are normally firewall related.
    Make sure you allow TCP ports 4661-4665

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Nope, i don't have a firewall and it's the router problem but how do youallow TCP ports!??!
    Gloria! Honorifice! Animus! Pralium Facio!! Desiteratus Fatum!!! Desiteratus Bellum!!!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    There should be an option in there somewhere when you log into your router. Usually, if you type 192.168.0.1 into your web browser, you'll be prompted to log into your router.

You might have to scour that manual a little more carefully and look at the pictures

I dont know spanish too well. Perhaps dehc can translate it for you (?) if you upload the bits you dont understand...