Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: My computer crashes when after I click MY PICTURES

  1. #1
    Platinum+ Member veronica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    621

    My computer crashes when after I click MY PICTURES

    It has done this many times. Each time it sends an error message to

    microsoft. I have XP. A gateway pc. model 200c. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Titanium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    blk helo target, WA
    Posts
    3,536
    Wait 'till you see what happens when you click fastgame's picture. Sorry, kidding - these guys will probably need more info.

  3. #3
    Platinum+ Member veronica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Wait 'till you see what happens when you click fastgame's picture. Sorry, kidding - these guys will probably need more info.
    What info specifically?? Thanks.

  4. #4
    all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    It has done this many times. Each time it sends an error message to

    microsoft. I have XP. A gateway pc. model 200c. Thanks.
    Have you tried using System Restore to restore your PC to a time before this problem started occurring?

    System restore is located here: C:\Windows\System32\restore\rstrui.exe however there should be a shortcut in the Start menu under All Programs\Accessories\System Tools

  5. #5
    Platinum+ Member veronica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Have you tried using System Restore to restore your PC to a time before this problem started occurring?

    System restore is located here: C:\Windows\System32\restore\rstrui.exe however there should be a shortcut in the Start menu under All Programs\Accessories\System Tools
    I used system restore. But maybe not back far enough. Bump for more info. Thank you all.

  6. #6
    Titanium Member efc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Central Arkansas
    Posts
    2,329
    Have you installed new software lately. If you have and the problem started after that point. Unstall that software and reboot.

    Second thing to try. Download RegClean from link provided. Install and clean all errors found. This is a longshot, but it is one of the things I would do early in the process.

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...id,4666,00.asp

    If this doesn't work, I have a suggestion with visuals using command prompt. The above is much easier to do so try it first.
    Last edited by efc; March 25th, 2004 at 13:13 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

  7. #7
    Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Watching Your every move...
    Posts
    4,688
    what exactly is the error message that you get?

  8. #8
    Platinum+ Member veronica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    what exactly is the error message that you get?
    I went back further in time on the system restore. It cured that problem. But it acts

    like any time I do something, it changes every file on my PC.

    It would send an error report. I looked up the event ID. It said it did not

    know yet. Thank you for the replies.

  9. #9
    Bronze Member Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    190
    Do you have any video files kept in that folder? The reason for this is some codecs are often known to have a few issues from being badly coded and therefore cause a crash. A common one I've known is OGG media.
    Live long and prosper!

  10. #10
    Platinum+ Member veronica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee
    Do you have any video files kept in that folder? The reason for this is some codecs are often known to have a few issues from being badly coded and therefore cause a crash. A common one I've known is OGG media.
    Yes, I have some videos in that file. But I have Kazaa Lite codec mega pack. Thank you for replying.

  11. #11
    all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    I went back further in time on the system restore. It cured that problem.

  12. #12
    Bronze Member Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    190
    I'm not too sure about this as I don't have the codec pack and quite frankly don't trust anything by Kazaa, but the pack may contain the ogg codec. The ogg codec may not even be the culpret, it's just a guess after all since soo many people have had a similar problems when using video codec's.

    Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    it acts like any time I do something, it changes every file on my PC
    Do you still have the Kazaa pack installed and still get this problem? You could try by process of elimination, uninstall the pack and use windows normally, see if the problem still exists. If it does, then simply try something else. As suggested by EFC, try a registry clean as there could always be some errors, also try defragging you HDD and any partitions as there could even be some badly fragmented files and of course use Checkdisk to find any possible bad sectors. Also if you have any anti-virus software and/or spyware removal software you could try and see if there are any nasties about.
    Live long and prosper!

  13. #13
    Platinum+ Member veronica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee
    I'm not too sure about this as I don't have the codec pack and quite frankly don't trust anything by Kazaa, but the pack may contain the ogg codec. The ogg codec may not even be the culpret, it's just a guess after all since soo many people have had a similar problems when using video codec's. Do you still have the Kazaa pack installed and still get this problem? You could try by process of elimination, uninstall the pack and use windows normally, see if the problem still exists. If it does, then simply try something else. As suggested by EFC, try a registry clean as there could always be some errors, also try defragging you HDD and any partitions as there could even be some badly fragmented files and of course use Checkdisk to find any possible bad sectors. Also if you have any anti-virus software and/or spyware removal software you could try and see if there are any nasties about.
    Do you know where I can get the Ogg codec?? When I moved the

    files to a CD, the problem traveled with it. I got some suspect files off my PC.

    That seemed to clear it up some. Thanks for the replies everyone.

  14. #14
    Bronze Member Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    190
    I think it's this one...
    http://www.vorbis.com/files/1.0/tobias/OggDS0995.exe

    If you run mplayer2, load a video and then look at the file's properties it should show you what codec it's using to render with. As i say, the Ogg codec may not be responsable for the crash but personally it's happened to me.
    Live long and prosper!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •