Thread: My computer crashes when after I click MY PICTURES

My computer crashes when after I click MY PICTURES

It has done this many times. Each time it sends an error message to

microsoft. I have XP. A gateway pc. model 200c. Thanks.

Titanium Member
    Wait 'till you see what happens when you click fastgame's picture. Sorry, kidding - these guys will probably need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Wait 'till you see what happens when you click fastgame's picture. Sorry, kidding - these guys will probably need more info.
    What info specifically?? Thanks.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    It has done this many times. Each time it sends an error message to

microsoft. I have XP. A gateway pc. model 200c. Thanks.
    Have you tried using System Restore to restore your PC to a time before this problem started occurring?

System restore is located here: C:\Windows\System32\restore\rstrui.exe however there should be a shortcut in the Start menu under All Programs\Accessories\System Tools

Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Have you tried using System Restore to restore your PC to a time before this problem started occurring?

System restore is located here: C:\Windows\System32\restore\rstrui.exe however there should be a shortcut in the Start menu under All Programs\Accessories\System Tools
    I used system restore. But maybe not back far enough. Bump for more info. Thank you all.

Have you installed new software lately. If you have and the problem started after that point. Unstall that software and reboot.

Second thing to try. Download RegClean from link provided. Install and clean all errors found. This is a longshot, but it is one of the things I would do early in the process.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...id,4666,00.asp

If this doesn't work, I have a suggestion with visuals using command prompt. The above is much easier to do so try it first.
    Last edited by efc; March 25th, 2004 at 14:13 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    what exactly is the error message that you get?

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    what exactly is the error message that you get?
    I went back further in time on the system restore. It cured that problem. But it acts

like any time I do something, it changes every file on my PC.

It would send an error report. I looked up the event ID. It said it did not

know yet. Thank you for the replies.

Do you have any video files kept in that folder? The reason for this is some codecs are often known to have a few issues from being badly coded and therefore cause a crash. A common one I've known is OGG media.
    Live long and prosper!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee
    Do you have any video files kept in that folder? The reason for this is some codecs are often known to have a few issues from being badly coded and therefore cause a crash. A common one I've known is OGG media.
    Yes, I have some videos in that file. But I have Kazaa Lite codec mega pack. Thank you for replying.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I went back further in time on the system restore. It cured that problem.

I'm not too sure about this as I don't have the codec pack and quite frankly don't trust anything by Kazaa, but the pack may contain the ogg codec. The ogg codec may not even be the culpret, it's just a guess after all since soo many people have had a similar problems when using video codec's.

it acts like any time I do something, it changes every file on my PC
    Do you still have the Kazaa pack installed and still get this problem? You could try by process of elimination, uninstall the pack and use windows normally, see if the problem still exists. If it does, then simply try something else. As suggested by EFC, try a registry clean as there could always be some errors, also try defragging you HDD and any partitions as there could even be some badly fragmented files and of course use Checkdisk to find any possible bad sectors. Also if you have any anti-virus software and/or spyware removal software you could try and see if there are any nasties about.
    Live long and prosper!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee
    I'm not too sure about this as I don't have the codec pack and quite frankly don't trust anything by Kazaa, but the pack may contain the ogg codec. The ogg codec may not even be the culpret, it's just a guess after all since soo many people have had a similar problems when using video codec's. Do you still have the Kazaa pack installed and still get this problem? You could try by process of elimination, uninstall the pack and use windows normally, see if the problem still exists. If it does, then simply try something else. As suggested by EFC, try a registry clean as there could always be some errors, also try defragging you HDD and any partitions as there could even be some badly fragmented files and of course use Checkdisk to find any possible bad sectors. Also if you have any anti-virus software and/or spyware removal software you could try and see if there are any nasties about.
    Do you know where I can get the Ogg codec?? When I moved the

files to a CD, the problem traveled with it. I got some suspect files off my PC.

That seemed to clear it up some. Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think it's this one...
    http://www.vorbis.com/files/1.0/tobias/OggDS0995.exe

If you run mplayer2, load a video and then look at the file's properties it should show you what codec it's using to render with. As i say, the Ogg codec may not be responsable for the crash but personally it's happened to me.
    Live long and prosper!