Thread: XP boot discs

Silver Member

XP boot discs

I downloaded that Windows XP Pro boot up software from Microsoft that took 6 floppies. I may be buying a computer that does not have a floppy drive. If I copy the info. from those six floppies into a folder on my hard drive, and then burn it to a CD, will I be able to boot up the new computer from the CD that I made ?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    depending what burning software you would have to create a bootable cd with the files from the floppies on there.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    What are you using it for mike? XP CDs are already bootable...you just throw them in the CD drive and restart your machine.

Silver Member
    My XP Pro disc is NOT bootable. I used the six floppies that I downloaded from Microsoft and it worked great. I am using Nero burning software. Is they anything you must do to create a BOOTABLE disc, or will I be prompted somewhere.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Follow this guide: http://www.minitutorials.serveftp.ne...liptheos.shtml to make your XP CD bootable if you are keen. You can also slipstream it with Service Pack 1 (or SP2 when that comes out) to make it fully up-to-date!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike13
    My XP Pro disc is NOT bootable.

All XP discs are bootable, bar none...as long as you have your system set to boot from the cd...but regardless...if you are able to install XP using the floppies that you d/loaded that will be fine as well. It should install and work great.