Thread: Can't use the Internet

Bronze Member

Can't use the Internet

I've just taken over a laptop (Win98SE) and can't use the internet though its modem...

The laptop used to participate in a domain but I've now set it to Workgroup operation.

In IE setting I've removed all reference to LAN connection.

In the DUN TCP/IP settings it's set to get settings automatically.

In the Network settings for dialup adapter TCP/IP it's set to detect setting.

In fact, AFAICS everything looks fine for a normal connection.

When I dial up to an ISP it makes the connection, validates and rnd quite happily, so the hardware must be working OK yet when I try to connect to Google with IE it says it can't find it (Page cannot be displayed). Even more, when I ping an IP address I get no repsonse. All the IE security settings, etc. look normal.

Yes, there is normally a firewall running (Zone Alarm) but turning it off makes no difference. Specifying the IP addresses of DNS servers makes no difference.

What have I missed?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    What settings do you have for the connection.
    Internet Options > Connection tab. Highlight the ISP under "Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings" and hit the set default button.Then make sure "Always dial my default connection" or "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" are enabled.

If that fails reinstall your ISP software or alternatively hit the Add button on the connection tab and install the ISP settings manually.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    and as another consideration, I have had Zone Alarm block connections even when disabled. All began working again after I unistalled it.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    and as another consideration, I have had Zone Alarm block connections even when disabled. All began working again after I unistalled it.
    Dont get me started on the problems I used to have with ZoneAlarm. Even when it was uninstalled, I still couldn't connect to my network or play any LAN games!!