Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's cleaner

Titanium Member

Who's cleaner?

Detecting viruses is one thing. Who's good at cleaning?

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communi...certprod.shtml

Cleaning is a lot different than detecting at times. From that list you can see it's a much smaller group of AV products that clean properly...
    page for links for each ability: http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communi...products.shtml
    Last edited by lynchknot; March 28th, 2004 at 19:49 PM.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Good post. I think this is something a lot of people should be aware of. Many virus applications will remove a virus for you, but damage the infected files in the process. It's important to have both something to detect new virus's and remove them safely from your computer.

Fred2
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe
    Good post. I think this is something a lot of people should be aware of. Many virus applications will remove a virus for you, but damage the infected files in the process. It's important to have both something to detect new virus's and remove them safely from your computer.
    Disinfection is normally deletion in the case of the majority of current viruses. Not like the days when viruses infected files, now they infect computers & operating systems. Cleaning now involves deleting files and registry entries.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    This would lead me to beleive that NAV isnt that good then, it may be a good detecter, but they are always releasing Virus Fix apps - it may be handy for people without NAV installed, but it is still required for NAV owners I guess we need to be careful of product description - a virus detector versus virus cleaner.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    This would lead me to beleive that NAV isnt that good then, it may be a good detecter, but they are always releasing Virus Fix apps - it may be handy for people without NAV installed, but it is still required for NAV owners I guess we need to be careful of product description - a virus detector versus virus cleaner.
    And where did you come to that conclusion ? NAV is on the list as one of the AV's that is also a good cleaner "Certified Products Anti-Virus Product Certification Cleaning". Looks like NOD32 is not so good

Titanium Member
    Nod32 was unable to do anything with that trojan I had - an online scanner cleaned it for me.

Fred2
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    And where did you come to that conclusion ? NAV is on the list as one of the AV's that is also a good cleaner "Certified Products Anti-Virus Product Certification Cleaning". Looks like NOD32 is not so good
    I use NOD32 and don't have a problem as I don't get infected. Cleaning assumes infection, all my incoming viruses are deleted as the memory resident scanner prevents infection. Prevention is always better than the cure.

NOD32 does produce FREE CLEANERS for those less fortunate who do not have NOD32 installed

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I've got the Panda Platinum AV and it has stopped TJ/Downloader just recently,quarantined it because it couldn't be cleaned and a few days later when I updated it announced that the Virus could be cleaned safely.They are all working on the onslaughts that are out there.Just keep updating.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred2
    I use NOD32 and don't have a problem as I don't get infected. Cleaning assumes infection, all my incoming viruses are deleted as the memory resident scanner prevents infection. Prevention is always better than the cure.

NOD32 does produce FREE CLEANERS for those less fortunate who do not have NOD32 installed
    The NOD32 i'm using (I think version 2) would not even quarantine the trojan it had notified me about. The trojan just ran it's course installing 100 or so spyware.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred2

The title of the thread is Who's cleaner, sorry NOD32 doesn't make the list where as many AV's do. All AV's are only as good as the updates, all AV's *can*may* let infection occur if the virus hits before its update. The biggest mistake people make with their AV is relying on the Auto Update feature, the safest bet is to check for updates when you go online.

Many AV's make the 100% detection scan the same as NOD32. Most detection scans are based on HD's that already contain all the various virus, the AV's are run through their paces and the results follow. There's a big difference between 100% detection of a virus thats already present and 100% detection/prevention/removal of a virus thats trying to make its presents. Many virus are smart enough to pass the phase "memory resident" thats old time stuff. There's the memory phase, write phase, extraction phase, damage phase. A good AV will cover all these the best it can, thats where the distinction between the various AV's occurs.

All the major corporations around the world stand to lose millions of $$$$ from virus attacks, I don't have hard facts but I'm willing to bet most don't use NOD32 and its not because they were suckered by some fancy sales pitch.

I'm sure NOD32 is a very good AV, but as it is with all the AV's the title "Best" is foolish thought.

Fred2
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    The NOD32 i'm using (I think version 2) would not even quarantine the trojan it had notified me about. The trojan just ran it's course installing 100 or so spyware.
    Which Trojan? Was NOD up to date? (I update every hour). I find the advanced heuristics have caught a few for me, then sometimes I guess you can be just unlucky

Hmm, the number of viruses, trojans, etc. that people get always amazes me. I run NAV and have not had a viruses in years. Years! Last week I decided to kill a Hijacker that Microsoft found on my system. It was not a biggie and I knew it was there, but did not care as it was quite harmless. Microsoft suggested Pest Patrol and since it was installed and I had 30 minutes to kill I let it do its job. The only surprise I had was that Microsoft suggested PestPatrol. I guess I have been lucky in the last couple of years.

Titanium Member
    It was stubby A or something like that. Yes NOD is newly installed and I made sure it's up to date. I'm a nutcase when it comes to security -

pest patrol views flashget as adware even though i'm using the licensed version

I can't find the thread but here is what happend:

Someone at another board wanted to test this:
    to test your computer for safety go to
    http://www.astalavista.box.sk/

search for
    mytheatre

select 1st link in the results

download version 3.08
    repeat the steps again.

when i repeatedthe steps after closing all windows and trying again I got bumbarded with popups
    I did with Firefox and reported no adware or popups. I then tried it with IE (myIE2) and recieved THIS!!! It's been an hour and i'm still unable to remove it. This is what MS activeX can do behind your back. At this time I have 87 instances of adware and over 500 traces and it keeps multiplying. All I did was visit the page and did not install anything.

Last edited by lynchknot; March 31st, 2004 at 16:41 PM.

@MSNwar, you tell um and make that two lucky people

Titanium Member
    Fastgame, check your email. I sent you a care package - :evil grin:

Also, It seems like NOD32 does not want to work with OE - keeps saying to use outlook.
    Last edited by lynchknot; March 31st, 2004 at 17:07 PM.