Thread: Asus P4P800 + Prescott/Extreme Edition will it work?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Asus P4P800 + Prescott/Extreme Edition will it work?

Just wondering for future reference, will the prescott chips or the Extreme Edition Chips work in a Asus P4P800??

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    The Extreme Edition will work as long you update the BIOS. Some of the Prescott chips will also work.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/Prescott.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Well I just updated the motherboard 2 days ago with the 1016 Bios version.. I think... it was the latest using the update tool provided by asus.

Not that I will ever upgrade in the near future, just wondering where I stand in regards to say a 4.0ghz upgrade a year from now Extreme edition would be nice, but the price.... my god, for one chip, I could buy another machine.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Interesting point BB, so is Intel Planning on Going to 4ghz with current 478 pin settings?? That would be a great idea, sort of like AMD from 600 - 3200+ !! But I like 2.8ghz -> 4ghz better

ohh the upgrade bug is getting bigger, might have to go CompAustralia and buy buy buy

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I would stay away from the prescott. Runs way to hot and overclocking sucks big time on it.

The 3.0c is great overclocking and can get it to 4.2 on air.

Quote Originally Posted by XPerties
    I would stay away from the prescott. Runs way to hot and overclocking sucks big time on it.

The 3.0c is great overclocking and can get it to 4.2 on air.
    Yeah that seems to be the general consensus around the net. The Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3,4 GHz runs a high EURO 1,000.00 here in Germany at the moment. I am watching for the prices to fall on the 2660. The Pentium 4 2,66 GHz runs EURO 159.00. The ASUS P4P800 Deluxe runs EURO 130.00. Board and CPU with a select fan would be around EURO 350.00. Next is RAM. Got to snag 1 G Anniversary is coming,

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSNwar
    Yeah that seems to be the general consensus around the net. The Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3,4 GHz runs a high EURO 1,000.00 here in Germany at the moment. I am watching for the prices to fall on the 2660. The Pentium 4 2,66 GHz runs EURO 159.00. The ASUS P4P800 Deluxe runs EURO 130.00. Board and CPU with a select fan would be around EURO 350.00. Next is RAM. Got to snag 1 G Anniversary is coming,
    Don't get the 2.66 Ghz that is 533 FSB, get the 2.6C which is 800 FSB. You don't really need to get a select fan at the moment as Egghead is running his CPU over 3 Ghz with everythng stock. Seems a lot of people are buying the Asus P4P800 board lately.