Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Gigabyte Email Free From Google

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

1 Gigabyte Email Free From Google

Search engine Google Inc. announced Wednesday it will launch a free, Web-based e-mail service to compete against popular services from rivals Yahoo! Inc. and Microsoft Corp.

Google's service, called "Gmail," will include a built-in search function that will let people search every e-mail they've ever sent or received.

According to company executives, users will be able to type in keywords to sort e-mails or find old missives. And it will come with 1 gigabyte of free storage - more than 100 times what some popular rivals offer and enough to hold 500,000 pages of e-mail.

The service is being offered to invited users, and will be available to everyone in a few weeks, the company said.

Officials at Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail division declined to comment on Google's entry into a new category.

But analysts said that Google -- whose technology is behind nearly four out of every five Web searches -- could shake up the free e-mail market.

Yahoo dominates the niche, with 52.6 million unique users per month in the United States, according to a February survey by online research firm comScore Media Metrix. Hotmail is next, with 45.4 million users. AOL has 40.2 million paying users.

To finance the service, Google will display advertising links tied to the topics discussed within the e-mails. For instance, an e-mail inquiring about an upcoming concert might include an ad from a ticket agency.

Industry analyst David Ferris said Gmail is a logical extension of the world's most popular search engine. But he said Google may run into trouble if it tries to charge for e-mail eventually.

Rivals have kept stripped versions of e-mail free and asked users to pay annual fees up to $30 or more for extra storage and spam protection.

"I know that companies offering free e-mail are very frustrated because the consumer expects it will stay free -- they simply will not pay any money for them," said Ferris, president of San Francisco-based Ferris Research. "Although there's a clear tendency for these free services to offer for-fee extensions, users are very resistant to taking them up. The level of adoption is very disappointing."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

I cannot wait for this!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    wow!
    is that for real?

nice
    ------------------------------------------------------------

To finance the service, Google will display advertising links tied to the topics discussed within the e-mails. For instance, an e-mail inquiring about an upcoming concert might include an ad from a ticket agency.
    That is the catch

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Ah ha! But you everyday ad-blocking software will supress this no doubt! I havn't seen an ad in Hotmail for ages!!

Mozilla even lets you block images from certain sites!

1GB sounds too good to be true!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I use a 200mb e-mail from Ukonline mainly for my Yahoo Groups mail. The e-mails arrive pretty late though.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    hmmm...I'm interested in trying it. I think in my hotmail account I have a pretty low limit. With the spam and the saved emails, I hit the limit pretty regularly.

Bronze Member
    I can believe google offering a free e-mail service, but the 1 GB can't be true. That part has to be an April fools joke....
    Here check out this one by ExtremeTech
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1559213,00.asp
    They did a spoof on 'rating' viruses like they rate video cards and processors. Pretty funny!

(Oh, btw I'm just a computer nerd from Wisconsin, I've read your site for a long time, but never had the time to actually sign up and post stuff.)

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez...Glad you had some extra time today NOW GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Large data storage would be good, however the other important measure is the actual size of attachments. It would take you ages to fill 1Gb with only a 1mb attachment size ??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I can't wait to jump on this bandwagon! I wonder how they can afford to support 1GB accounts!!??

They put ads in the emails I think.. or something like that.. not too sure.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Personally I don't want them scanning my emails even tho there is rarely anything in there that would be questionable. Just a matter of privacy to me...

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I knew there had to be a hitch some where, the 1gb is great, but the fine print states that Google do not fully delete your deleted email from their server. Oh oh, sounds like privacy laws.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I Cant Find Link "REGISTER" ????
    What About The Best E-Mail [ 1GB Too ] - http://walla.com/
    Last edited by wykis; August 2nd, 2004 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Wrong Words