Thread: Forgot Root Password For Linux

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Forgot Root Password For Linux

I guess we don't have a Linux Section. At least I couldn't find it.
    Well, I forgot the root password for my mom's PC. That is not a great problem, since I have the instructions to reset the password. At the Lilo boot screen type Linux single. Great!! Now, HOW DO I GET TO THAT SCREEN??
    I remember having it in older Red Hat instalations, but she has Fedora, and it goes directly to the user login screen.
    HELPPPPPP!!!

Any Linux Guru out there?

LiLo's configuration file is '/etc/lilo.conf' but its easier if you use a boot disk.

boot disk? I would have thought about that only for Windows
    Well, which boot disk would you recomend? anyone?
    and, what do I do with Lilo's config file? You forgot I don't know that much about Linux. I just want to get to the Lilo boot screen to type Linux single and then I want it to work as usual. I guess after changing the password I could just undo the change in Lilo, but what do I need to change in the first place?

Ok, it can be quite complicated if you have not done it, so this link (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Ser...ader-lilo.html).

To clarify somewhat the link is for dialing into your lilo system, but the same procedure applies from a home based PC. First open /etc/lilo.conf with a text editor (see Figure 4-3. LILO boot loader sample configuration) and change/save the password. Thats it.

Now, make yourself a boot disk for the future. Plenty on how-to guides on the net.

Ah, the makings of a hacker

Heellppppppppppppppp
    I can't get it right
    Well, the Lilo config file is protected. Only root can modify it. (Ahh, the version of Lilo is Anaconda)
    I look in the Internet and it says that I can change the boot process by changing the value in inittab. Easy enought, if I out 1 instead of 5 it boot into single user mode. But....I can't save it in the curren't location because to save in etc/ I need root rights
    Isn't there a key to stop the graphical booting in Anaconda?

Way to stop LILO...

I thought pressing [ ESC ] wen the OS choices gets up that evil black dos-like screen...

If this was not what you wanted to hear, then tell me b4 i go on...

Nop ESC doesn't stop it. It is GURU the boot loader

Wanna know how I got the password?
    It is going to be short because I was mainly watching. Anyhow, we tried using a boot CD, it didn't work since we made it from a machine that had only SCSI so it wouldn't load the hdd. Then we tried with a diskette and we could not get the right partition, but then there was some problem with the version or something like that. And then...the light came Why not use a Linux on CD? I had Super Rescue which I downloaded last year. We check all partitions, mounted the right one, went to the shadow password file, and copy the key from my mother's user (which I already knew the password) and paste it over the root's one. So, my mother password also became the root password. Done, then I boot, change the root password. Save the password in Oubliette and It has been working ever since

Here is the solution provided by Leo Laporte of Tech TV.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/a...657192,00.html
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I am a security freak, so guess what? That doesn't work on mine
    First of all, Red Hat Fedora doesn't recomend using Lilo (just for that reason) and it uses Grub. Second I password Protected Grub with the root password (in grup you have to press P to enter password then the advance options come up)
    That was the first thing I tried. I was all the time trying to boot my PC into single user. There was no way, and the guy who helped me is a Linux guru. I can proudly say that the computer was really locked down