Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secret Windows Software You Already Own

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Secret Windows Software You Already Own

From the show "The Screensavers"

IExpress
    Have you ever wanted to make a customized self-extracting executable? You already have the tool. IExpress' wizard will step you through the process, and in a matter of minutes, you'll have something ready for download. To use IExpress, open the Run box and type, "iexpress.exe".

Microsoft Word Script Editor
    You know how annoying it can be when, in the middle of typing a document, suddenly a paragraph's formatting changes. Argh! I didn't want to do that! How can I stop this from happening? Look no further than the built-in script editor. Open it by pressing Alt + Shift + F11 on your keyboard. Newer Word documents are done in XML, so you can easily edit the source to your heart's content.

Vintage Windows Media Player
    If you're like me, you hate the new Windows Media Player. Sure, it's skinnable, but it also sucks up a lot of resources. Did you know the old one is still there? Yep, it's now called "mplayer2.exe". Just type the name in the Run box.

On-screen keyboard
    Keyboard stuck? Don't wanna reboot? Use the on-screen keyboard. It's an accessibility tool, but it'll work just as well for anybody. To get to it, open the Windows folder, then open the System32 folder. The application is in this folder, and it's called, "osk.exe".

Winchat
    Instant messaging is fun, but what if you don't want to install any of that kind of software on your machine? Launch Winchat, and then connect with another buddy on your network (your buddy also has to run Winchat). It's not incredibly useful, but still, it's there. To use Winchat, open the Run box and type, "winchat.exe".

Get more processing power
    In the Run box, type, "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks". This frees up any idle tasks running in the background so that XP devotes its full attention to what you want it to do.
    Last edited by Conan; June 16th, 2002 at 03:06 AM.

Conan:

I have problems with winmedia player and MS told me to test Mplayer 2 exe. ,but it's not there.Anyway just to let you know.
    In fact a lot of stuff that should be in my P.C. is not even after a clean install.

Somewhere in Texas , there's a Village missing it's Idiot
    Cheers
    Ushie

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...-US/mpfull.exe

you can get the 6.4 version there, but to be honest I dont know if it will install on XP...
    You can try though. It's strange the older version should be in the C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player folder.
    Well I hope the file above helps.
    BB

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    As Boogs said go to
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\
    and double click on mplayer2.exe.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

It's not there and the dog did not find it either.Well it's not a big deal.It's just strange that a lot of other things are not to be found either.I guess that goes back to the mfg.

Cheers
    Ushie

Did you try to download and install it?
    Just wondering.
    BB

Originally posted by uschie
    Conan:

I have problems with winmedia player and MS told me to test Mplayer 2 exe. ,but it's not there.Anyway just to let you know.
    In fact a lot of stuff that should be in my P.C. is not even after a clean install.
    Are you using Windows XP Home? It seems that all of us on Professional have it.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

Lightbulb

Very cool deal. Thanks!

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Originally posted by piaqt
    Very cool deal. Thanks!
    I'm totally with ya on that one piaqt, thanks Conan!

As for uschie's problems with Windows Media Player, i believe that an incomplete installation of Windows XP has taken place here, the latest Windows Media Player is stated to be included in all versions of Windows XP.

I bet uschie upgraded his XP from another Windows operating system, and didn't choose a fresh install.

Get more processing power
    In the Run box, type, "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks". This frees up any idle tasks running in the background so that XP devotes its full attention to what you want it to do.
    I just tried that one, and it worked like a charm..
    I ran that command right before i went to play sof2, and my frame rate increased ~ 6-9
    Thanks Conan

Thank's B.B.
    I got it installed,it worked.
    Winxp home came preinstalled with the P.C. ,but theyre are aps. missing,but sooner or later i'll get them together.
    Sorry i'm late on the answer,but was very busy with the property.

Cheers
    Ushie

Glad to hear you got it installed!
    It's strange it wasn't installed from the beginning.
    BB

Good stuff Conan, Thanks.......

Since I am the typo king can anyone tell me how to delete miss typed lines in the "Run" drop down menu? Right click does not do it. Will I have to delete the whole list?

Originally posted by Tinker
    Good stuff Conan, Thanks.......

Since I am the typo king can anyone tell me how to delete miss typed lines in the "Run" drop down menu? Right click does not do it. Will I have to delete the whole list?
    Highlight then press delete.

Drop down the menu and highlight the selection that I want to delete, this puts it in the window bar. Now I right click on it and a menu comes with delete on it so I click delete. This deletes it from the window bar but not the drop down list........