Thread: Software that will enable me to see/talk to my son

Software that will enable me to see/talk to my son

We both have webcams. We used to use an Intel software program to enable us to see and chat. However, my copy of that Intel software for XP has died (a memory module cannot be read and a uninstall/reinstall did no good.)

We cannot use Netmeeting because it is not compatible with my XP. We can't use Windows or MS Messenger because only their XP version supports video AND sound and my son just has Win 2000.

Does anyone know of a free or retail program I would pay for that will allow my son and I to see/talk again. I have had no luck searching with Google--all I find is a Kensington program for Windows 95 or programs that are for suveillance, or programs designed to send video information to 5 or more computers or programs that get into highly professional video conferencing.

All we (I) want is what Intel used to provide--just 2-way video/soundl communication between 2 people.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You can try Yahoo chat which supports video chat from what I understand or Egghead had a link to some updated Intel drivers for you in your previous thread.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Strange Wumply that you mention tha Netmeeting isnt compatible with your XP. XP comes with Netmeeting pretty much ready to go. All you need to do is click on the Windows Start Button, then click on run. In the open box, just type "conf" (without the quotation marks) and it should start netmeeting. Give it a moment for it to start if it's your first time starting it.

Skype is an obscure program that has been recommended by Tech TV several times and I think Langa List also had good things to say about it. The main reasons are that it has NO ADWARE, takes few resources, the sound is clear, it is easy to set up.

http://www.skype.com/download.html
    Last edited by efc; April 6th, 2004 at 00:48 AM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe
    Strange Wumply that you mention tha Netmeeting isnt compatible with your XP. XP comes with Netmeeting pretty much ready to go. All you need to do is click on the Windows Start Button, then click on run. In the open box, just type "conf" (without the quotation marks) and it should start netmeeting. Give it a moment for it to start if it's your first time starting it.
    This is what me and my pops use. little more difficult to set up but very low overhead and best of all its free.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Doesn't Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger allow you to do this?

Hi to all who responded to this post.

Thanks to all of you. Your replies were all read and saved for future reference. The problem I had is solved. For what ended up as the solution, please see my reply to Egghead in my post in the General section called "My Intel software to see/talk with my son has quit! Help!"