Thread: Why aren't I stealthed?

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar

Why aren't I stealthed?

I've done a few of the online tests that check whether your firewall is doing it's job and I have the following question: Why are all my ports closed and not stealthed? The only stealthed ports are the ones that my ISP has (optionally) blocked.

Is the answer to the above simply because I am behind a router and these tests are detecting the ports on the routers as closed?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    It's mainly due to the router. When I check mine on Shields Up, everything is stealthed except for the IDENT port which reports as closed. What firewall are you using now?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    yep
    ident for me 2

suxor
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Using Mcafee Personal Firewall (part of McAfee Internet Security), but it was the same with NIS too.

Router is a Dlink DSL-504.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Yes it would seem that GRC is detecting the router and hits 'closed' ports and not stealthed since there is no software to hide them on the router. You should be able to get a small GRC app that sends your actual IP to their scanners that wraps the packets to slip through the router to your comp. But really its your router that you want to protect from the outside Net. Make sure all unneeded ports are closed. And turn SPI firewall on. Check the manual to see if you can 'stealth' your ports on the router.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks cash...got to read up on firewall settings on my router. Don't think ports can be stealted but I'll have to check.