Thread: creating a ram drive

Question creating a ram drive

i was just wondering if anyone knew how to creat a ram drive/disk so you can install applications to run off of the ram disk for obvious reason of increased speed, I have a gig of ram an 80% of it is free at all time,s wich is a waste of the ram.

There is a lot of available info on this subject with a Google searth "XP ram drive".

Sample
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

ram disk

yeah there isnt much info on creating a ram disk, mostly for win9x and mac osx, not to much for NTFS based systems like xp...

You can start up RAMDISK.SYS from a DOS (COMMAND.COM) box by having it use its own local CONFIG.SYS (off the Advanced button of its .PIF shortcut's Program tab, and the syntax is the same as for MS-DOS 7.0), but there seems to be a big limitation with DOS RAM disks: not supporting long file names, just 8.3 ones. There are, however, programs you can get that set up true RAM disks with all Win XP capability.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm

Take a look there.

RamDisk and RamDisk Plus dramatically improve the disk performance of applications running on Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000. In tests run with the Intel IoMeter benchmark, our RAM disks typically show a 50 times performance improvement over a physical hard drive disk partition. In many instances, that translates into a 3 to 10 times improvement in overall application speed.

A RAM disk appears like a physical hard disk to the operating system and programs. You choose its size (depending on the amount of RAM in the system), drive letter, and file system (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, NTFS with compression, or RAW). You can copy, move and delete files on it. Like a physical disk, a RAM disk can also be shared so as to be accessed by other computers on a network.
    http://www.superspeed.com/ramdisk.html
    Last edited by Big Booger; April 27th, 2005 at 05:59 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Sounds interesting...downloading now. Will scope it out later, thanks for the link BB.

xeonic and all interested-

I do a little preperatory file copying before setting up for a ramdisk, particularly in the case of running larger programs on systems with only fractional memory (like my Toshiba Tecra 730CDT laptop w/144 meg ram @ 150 MHz):

[This method works for Win98se]

First, I copy RAMDRIVE.SYS, EMM386.EXE, and HIMEM.SYS from the c:\windows directory to the root C:\ , using a DOS window, but this can also be done in your autoexec.bat file:

COPY C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS C:\ [same format for all 3 files]

Next, I create or edit the CONFIG.SYS file to reflect the following, keeping in mind that HIMEM.SYS must be loaded prior to EMM386.EXE, and that EMM386.EXE must be loaded before RAMDRIVE.SYS, thus:

DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\EMM386.EXE RAM
    DEVICE=C:\RAMDRIVE.SYS 32767 512 256 /e
    [This command may also be DEVICEHIGH]

The ramdisk created is 32767k, with a sector size of 512k and a limit of 256 root directory entries.

I'll use a Windows-based game for my example, HOVER.

Assuming that you have only one HDD partition defined (c:\), and you expect to use a program which you'd like to see run faster, you can then copy the DIRECTORIES for it to the Ramdrive from your AUTOEXEC.BAT file, like this:

XCOPY [SOURCE DIRECTORY][OPTION SWITCHES, i.e. /e][RAMDRIVE NAME]

OR

XCOPY C:\GAMES\HOVER /E D:
    (The "/e" tells it to copy directories & sub-directories, including empty ones)

If all of the files for the program are in a single directory, use the below instead:

COPY C:\[directory]*.* D:

Note that the files you select MUST fit in the space allocated in the RAMDRIVE.SYS definition, leaving adequate space for any temporary files used by the system, OR YOUR PROGRAM WILL NOT RUN !! In the above example, a 32 meg ramdrive is created, and just over 15 megs is used for file storage, leaving about 16 megs free for temporary files or additional programs or directories.

Also bear in mind that when you create a ramdisk, other drive names (like CDROM) will be moved up the alphabet when the system inserts the ramdrive after c:\ ... thus, a CDROM that used to be listed as D:\ will now be shown as E:\

For more information regarding XCOPY, open a dos window and type in:

XCOPY/?|more [MORE switch makes the screen stop scrolling when it is full]

For more info on RAMDRIVE.SYS, a good place to visit is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rlively/M...R/RAMDRIVE.HTM

p.s .. Hover runs really FAST on a ramdrive !!

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by michael_v; November 14th, 2005 at 19:37 PM.