Thread: Is my burner dead?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

Is my burner dead?

hey I thought I would see if you guys have any suggestions before I lay my burner to rest. First my burner is a liteon ltr-48246S, couple of days ago it started to hang my whole system when burning cds. I've tried different apps to burn and all of them have the same result. I've also been having some other little issues so I thought WTF time to reformat.

So last night I del the partition, reformatted and reinstalled XP. Installed SP1, the ASPI driver, even flashed the burner with the newest firmware. Tried to burn same result tried using Nero, Clonecd, alcohol 120%, Blindwrite. All of them just burning coasters. The burner is on IDE2 by itself and my reg cd drive is slaved to IDE1. Now the kicker is that this burner is not even a yr old and hasn't been burning like a madman.

When I get home gonna check the cables since I was doing some house cleaning the other day in the case, also I have my ol' trusty 24x12x32 that has never let me down that I will try to install.

Now you ask what have I installed since it was working last....you got me

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I would say that its bad especially if you flashed the firmware and it still doesn't work. I had one that did the same thing as yours, sent in back and 2 weeks later they sent me a new one.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I've never bothered to install any ASPI drivers. If it isn't a year old then you can return right?

well the kicker is that my cousin gave it to me since he updated to a dvdr. so gotta ask if he still has the paperwork.

well guys figured it out. It was a bad ribbon. I put my other burner in and had the same results so I changed ribbons and but the burner as master on IDE2 and slaved my cd rom on IDE1 and burning at full speed again. WHOOHOO!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Nice!

Glad out worked out for you!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You lucky ducky

Cables couldn't help mine, LiteOn did.

Well well, I didn't know ribbons could go bad unless you burnt it for cut it.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield